O's Ownership deserves some credit

wildcard

From '98 through '10 I was one who wanted to burn Angelos at the stake after tarring and feathering him. Obviously I jest at the punishment, but let's face it, he's the owner and the buck stopped with him. In late '10 he hired Buck, and even though it took a year to see results, the ride from '12 through the present has been a gift to suffering O's fans. I have no complaints about Angelos as an owner since the Buck hiring. He put competent people in charge of baseball operations, and by and large, from what I can tell, he stays the hell out of their way and lets them do their job. That's all I ever wanted him to do. After the low of having to go through '98-'11 and all those losing seasons, the last 4+ seasons have been incredible. I honestly wasn't sure I'd ever see a winning Orioles organization again until the '12 season happened and restored my faith.

In short, nice job, Pete. Better late than never. Keep up the good work.

Interesting that the league is up 30m average from 2012-2016. The O's are up 67m from 2012 to now. 84m to 151m.

I said median, not average. And you have to pay attention to which source you are using. I've seen figures for the Orioles as low as $115 mm this year and as high as $155 mm. But yes, the Orioles' increase has been bigger than the league's as a whole.

Here's a site I like that has a 15-year history for all teams laid out in a single chart. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/extras/payrolls/ They have the O's at $142 mm this year, $81 mm in 2012. Some other teams with big increases according to that chart:

Dodgers $116 mm

Giants $78 mm

Royals $70 mm

Blue Jays $63 mm

Tigers $62 mm

I said median, not average. And you have to pay attention to which source you are using. I've seen figures for the Orioles as low as $115 mm this year and as high as $155 mm. But yes, the Orioles' increase has been bigger than the league's as a whole.

Here's a site I like that has a 15-year history for all teams laid out in a single chart. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/extras/payrolls/ They have the O's at $142 mm this year, $81 mm in 2012. Some other teams with big increases according to that chart:

Dodgers $116 mm

Giants $78 mm

Royals $70 mm

Blue Jays $63 mm

Tigers $62 mm

I think this is the data used by MLB for Penalty and MLBPA for arbritation valuation. Thanks

Archived