San Diego Padres have come under scrutiny from the MLB over medical disclosures

xian4

Does anyone know how all this free flow of medical information jives with the applicable laws like HIPAA? When a player sees Dr. Andrews I assume that they sign a waiver allowing Andrews to share the info with the team. I wouldn't automatically assume that the waiver extended to other teams. Even if Dr. Andrews is working as a "team" Dr., it seems like other laws come into play that would limit what an employer can share with other employers. But clearly, the restrictions can't be too tight in regards to MLB, since players aren't scuttling deals by exercising their privacy rights.

Does anyone know how all this free flow of medical information jives with the applicable laws like HIPAA? When a player sees Dr. Andrews I assume that they sign a waiver allowing Andrews to share the info with the team. I wouldn't automatically assume that the waiver extended to other teams. Even if Dr. Andrews is working as a "team" Dr., it seems like other laws come into play that would limit what an employer can share with other employers. But clearly, the restrictions can't be too tight in regards to MLB, since players aren't scuttling deals by exercising their privacy rights.

Hipaa Business associate agreement, I am sure all the mlb docs and teams have one in place.

http://searchhealthit.techtarget.com/definition/HIPAA-business-associate-agreement-BAA

Archived