Is Pedro Alvarez the top Orioles off-season acquisition?

weams

Fowler:

.291/.400/.486 - .886 OPS, 139 OPS+, 2.8 oWAR, 0.3 dWAR, 3.0 WAR

Alvarez:

.262/.317/.540 - .857, 121 OPS+, 0.9 oWAR, -0.8 dWAR, 0.6 WAR

Trumbo dWAR: -1.1

...we also have to account for Pedro playing in a platoon scenario. Fowler is more of an every day lock. Yes, I get it (re: the DL), but you can't guarantee the DL would happen w/ the O's anymore than Pedro would have miraculously hit well for the first month somewhere else.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fowler:

.291/.400/.486 - .886 OPS, 139 OPS+

Alvarez:

.262/.317/.540 - .857, 121 OPS+

...we also have to account for Pedro playing in a platoon scenario. Fowler is more of an every day lock. Yes, I get it (re: the DL), but you can't guarantee the DL would happen w/ the O's anymore than Pedro would have miraculously hit well for the first month somewhere else.

Get rid of the WAR. I was just talking offense.

Trumbo was our best acquisition. I'd much rather have Fowler than Alvarez because his skill set would have fit the team much better. That said, Alvarez has done a solid job. You can't ignore the first two months, but he's made up for them by now and hopefully will stay hot down the stretch.

It might be Kim.

Just saying.

What's the point then? You want to focus on one players one positive trait and ignore all the negatives? For what?

Yes. I was not talking anything other than Alvarez being the top off season acquisition and certainly offensively replacing the fellow that short-sheeted us. You don''t have to agree. But maybe don't have to point out other's lack of value.

If you consider cost and the two year commitment, you can make a strong case for Kim. But I am just going by contributions to date.

Agree, considering the second year, it may well be Kim. Who knows, after all is said and done it could well end up being Rickard.

Get rid of the WAR. I was just talking offense.

You should probably edit your thread title then. It's misleading if you only wish to cover offensive contributions.

Its difficult to compare, but Trumbo, Kim, and now Alvarez as of late have all made large contributions to the team. Singling out just one as the best is a good problem to have.

You should probably edit your thread title then. It's misleading if you only wish to cover offensive contributions.

Its difficult to compare, but Trumbo, Kim, and now Alvarez as of late have all made large contributions to the team. Singling out just one as the best is a good problem to have.

I asked the question. I did not purport for it to be the conscientious choice. My only concern was that was mocked with the "what's your point." Many posters have made good points in this thread without questioning the motivations of fellow posters. And some of them have made me question my question.

Archived