Can Bundy make a run at Rookie of the year?

accinfo

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have seen Kim hit the snot of a 98 MPH fastball, so not sure, how overmatched he is.

Yeah, 98 mph in and of itself, isn't evidence of a good FB (Tommy Kahnle says hello). Otherwise, I would have said hard or fast instead of good. Carry on.

It's not that long ago that Juan Gonzalez (3.8 rWAR, 17th among vote-getters) won an MVP over Ken Griffey (9.7) and ARod (9.4) apparently because he had more RBI than all the other non-Albert Belle participants. All those voters can't be dead yet, can they?

I'm not versed on the life span of the MVP electorate from 20 years ago, but there's a more recent example. Cabrera (rWAR 7.2) over Trout (rWAR 10.8) in 2012 was not as egregious but it seems voters were more influenced by the big three of HRs, RBI and BA (although there was only a one point advantage there). Cabrera was a negative defender while Trout was a +20 DRS. But we've seen the best player is not always the MVP.

I do think voters are more informed today, though, with more understanding of advanced metrics and a player's true value. Therefore, to me Trumbo represents almost an impossibility to win MVP. But hey, it wouldn't be the first time I shrugged at the machinations that take place during awards time, if he steals the award because he ends up with 50 HRs (not happening).

It's not that long ago that Juan Gonzalez (3.8 rWAR, 17th among vote-getters) won an MVP over Ken Griffey (9.7) and ARod (9.4) apparently because he had more RBI than all the other non-Albert Belle participants. All those voters can't be dead yet, can they?

I thought Juan Gone won MVP because the Rangers made the playoffs that year while the Mariners did not. There's only been a handful of players who won MVP while being on non-playoff teams. Bryce Harper last year was one, Barry Bonds 2x, 2006 Ryan Howard, 2003 A-Rod, 1997 Larry Walker, and 1991 Cal also won MVP on non-playoff teams and that's basically it for the last 25 years. I do remember RBIs being a strong reason for Gonzalez winning the MVP in 1998 though. He had the MVP wrapped up by the all-star break when he had 101 RBIs. Everybody was talking about him breaking Hack Wilson's RBI record that year. Of course his RBI pace slowed down in the second half of the season but that didn't matter. All anybody remembered was 101 RBIs at the break and that was good enough to win him the MVP.

Yeah, 98 mph in and of itself, isn't evidence of a good FB (Tommy Kahnle says hello). Otherwise, I would have said hard or fast instead of good. Carry on.

I believe Redskins Rick is referring to the base hit Kim got off Dellin Betances earlier this year. Dellin Betances has a very good fastball.

I thought Juan Gone won MVP because the Rangers made the playoffs that year while the Mariners did not. There's only been a handful of players who won MVP while being on non-playoff teams. Bryce Harper last year was one, Barry Bonds 2x, 2006 Ryan Howard, 2003 A-Rod, 1997 Larry Walker, and 1991 Cal also won MVP on non-playoff teams and that's basically it for the last 25 years. I do remember RBIs being a strong reason for Gonzalez winning the MVP in 1998 though. He had the MVP wrapped up by the all-star break when he had 101 RBIs. Everybody was talking about him breaking Hack Wilson's RBI record that year. Of course his RBI pace slowed down in the second half of the season but that didn't matter. All anybody remembered was 101 RBIs at the break and that was good enough to win him the MVP.

There are all kinds of excuses when the writers decide that controversial narrative and curmudgeonly bullheadedness sells more advertising than just giving the MVP to the best player.

Archived