Shorebird's Randolph Gassaway Named South Atlantic League Player of the Week

DrShorebird

Official release:

Randolph Gassaway Named South Atlantic League Player of the Week

SALISBURY, MD - The Delmarva Shorebirds are pleased to announce that the South Atlantic League has recognized Delmarva Shorebirds outfielder Randolph Gassaway as the South Atlantic League?s Player of the Week for the week of August 1-7.

Gassaway has become a staple in Ryan Minor?s lineup over the last month. The slugging outfielder has hit safely in 23 of the 29 games in which he has appeared this season. Gassaway torched Hickory and West Virginia in seven games last week. He went 13-for-27 with four doubles, two home runs, four runs scored and four RBI?s. He finished the week with a slash line of .481/.500/.852.

This is the first career honor for Gassaway in the South Atlantic League. He is the fifth different player to be recognized by the league office this season, joining Yermin Mercedes (twice), Ryan Mountcastle, Cristian Alvarado and Ofelky Peralta.

Two homeruns tonight. Hitting .340 over 130 at bats at Delmarva. The bat looks like it might be for real.

May work his way onto some top ten lists by the end of the season.

I've read conflicting reports on his speed/outfield arm.

I think so but we'll see. The strikeout rate is pretty low and the power is emerging. A nice combination. Now, we just have to find him a position because I get the impression that DH is his best spot right now. Would love to see this kind continue to hit and start next year at Bowie.

Have you seen him? Not athletic enough to improve? Just wondering if he possesses the tools that would allow for improvement there.

My impression of him is that he's built like Dave Winfield, but moves like the 33 year old version.

Fwiw, Winfield at 33 stole 19 bases and won a Gold Glove playing RF.

Grats to Gassaway for taking a big step up in his hitting this year. Keep it up please.

Gassaway played 35 games at 1B in his debut year but has never played there again in the Orioles system. He has played 61 games in LF and 22 games in RF. I would think if he had even average speed and a plus arm he would have spent a lot more time in RF than LF. Tony mentions him as having a below average arm if memory serves me correctly. He only has 2 OF assists in those games which is an indicator that the arm is certainly not plus. I wonder if he was so bad at 1B that they decided he had no chance to stick there or maybe they did feel he some athleticism that would play in the OF. Inquiring minds want to know.

Or maybe they didn't think his bat would play at first and went to plan B.

My impression of him is that he's built like Dave Winfield, but moves like the 33 year old version.

I didn't get that at all, watching him in the GCL. I wouldn't call him a gazelle, but I don't think his athleticism is a problem at all. From my observations, he looked like a mediocre outfielder, with an average arm.

Archived