Despite injury, Alvarez still a top choice

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080507&content_id=2656864&vkey=draft2008&fext=.jsp

The junior third baseman was idled during the opening weeks of the season after breaking the hamate bone in his right hand during the Commodores' season opener against Oregon State and missed 23 of the team's first 24 games.

Expected to be an early -- if not the first -- pick in next month's First-Year Player Draft, his injury has impacted his numbers.

However, it shouldn't impact his chances, according to Vanderbilt coach Tim Corbin.

"The body of work over the last two years is apparent," Corbin said of Alvarez, who earned National Freshman of the Year honors following the 2006 season, All-Southeastern Conference and All-America honors after last season, and came into the current campaign with 40 career home runs, 132 RBIs and a .359 career batting average.

I saw him last night vs. TN Tech. He has a super quick bat, worked two walks, played flawlessly in the field with a strong arm and has decent speed. Vandy plays UGA this weekend and needs a sweep for the SEC regular season championship.

I'm really surprised how many people are sleeping on Alvarez due to his injury. I guess, in fairness, many don't follow college ball and are not familiar with his insane FR and SO years. I don't see any way that he isn't the best college bat in the draft.

Agree 100%. I hope the D-Rays, Pirates and Royals are fool enough (or just scared of Boras) not to pick Alvarez.

I'm really surprised how many people are sleeping on Alvarez due to his injury. I guess, in fairness, many don't follow college ball and are not familiar with his insane FR and SO years. I don't see any way that he isn't the best college bat in the draft.
I agree and I would take him with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick if I had any of them or if he dropped to me.

Here is a reminder of his first 2 years in the best conference in college baseball:

Alvarez:

FR Year -- 240 AB, .329/.456/.675, 22 HR, 15 2b, 1 3b, 64 SO, 57 BB

SO Year -- 272 AB, .386/.463/.684, 18 HR, 21 2b, 3 3b, 65 SO, 40 BB

Here is a reminder of his first 2 years in the best conference in college baseball:

Alvarez:

FR Year -- 240 AB, .329/.456/.675, 22 HR, 15 2b, 1 3b, 64 SO, 57 BB

SO Year -- 272 AB, .386/.463/.684, 18 HR, 21 2b, 3 3b, 65 SO, 40 BB

I'm crossing my fingers that, with the combination of his agent and the fact that a couple of publications are not rating him the clear #1 player, the three teams above us will have ample excuse not to pick him.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I think you can get Benintendi on 2-3 year deal. Cowser hit .219 in AAA so you don’t need to rush him. Assume he’s at least a year away.By that time you can figure out if Stowers is anymore than a fringe major league player. If you have surplus then you can deal 1. We have power in Adley, Gunnar, Santander, etc.  Ill keep saying that you guys are falling in the same old trap. Making plans about every prospect coming up , immediately making a impact, etc. The farm system is much improved no doubt. But, expecting to hit on a high percentage of these guys isn’t realistic.
    • Perhaps …but I’m saying they should    I’m saying we should go all in on OBP. I think with Correa and Benintendi. Dumping guys like Odor , Aguilar, Hays, Mountcastle etc you immediately go from near the bottom to the top. With the right pitcher to lead the way you go to or near the top in runs and drastically improve the run differential 
    • They can afford any one free agent that they want and still have a bottom 3rd payroll. 
    • Yes easily.  You basically posted it above too except sign Abreu instead.  Your response to wildcard has Westburg (who has power pitcher would be careful around) posting a .350 and Vavra (who has little power concerns pitchers might attack) posting a .340.     Benintendi and Abreu with $10-15m of what would have gone to Correa now going to a pitcher instead.     Mullins CF Benintendi LF Adley C Abreu DH - .350-.360 Gunnar SS Westburg 3B Santander RF Mountcastle 1B - .305 (with a stronger SLG than Vavra)  Or trade Mounty (with Mateo/Urias and Hays for an SP+) and Abreu at 1B with Stowers/Cowser/Santander at DH or RF. Ortiz/Norby 2B - .340 (even if Ortiz was a hot streak, Norby hit tool and plate discipline has a long track record) Plus money toward a better SP!  All with the same budget you’re working with signing Correa and Beni. For the record - I completely agree the OBP is a key metric we should focus on (and started a thread a while back saying so).  And I’m not advocating for or opposed to Benintendi or Abreu.  Just pointing out that improving OBP can be done in a way that doesn’t block organizational prospect strength at such a high cost while addressing other needs (like 1B depth and TOR).
    • The FO should do their best to figure out if Mullins is the strict platoon player he presented as in 2022 or the guy who can hit both righties and lefties that we saw in 2021. If they conclude that he is more of the platoon guy from this year, then we should do our best to cash in on him now.
    • I didn’t say he is a 2, but if the team thinks is defense and speed regress, and over a 5 year he’s more like a 2WAR and platoon where you cut 1/4 of his ABs because that’s your plan, then you trade him at peak value like he’s a 4-5 WAR player now.   if you think he’s a 4-5WAR Player though I believe you keep him at least until he’s a UFA. I also think he’s a 3.5+ player who can improve so I advocate keeping him and signing FA SP
    • I am very opposed to signing Rodon due to his chronic throwing arm issues, but I agree. If we are not willing to shop from the top shelf now, when our window is opening, the clock on Adley is ticking, and the payroll is microscopic, then I doubt we ever will. That said, Roch may just be speculating for content.
  • Popular Contributors