Hats off to AJ -- Once again a model of consistency

FanSince88

Hers my criticism of AJ. When is the last time he's hit a slider or curveball in the dirt hard? NEVER. But he swings at that pitch 5 times a game at least. Laying off those pitches puts you in hitters counts where the pitcher has to come to you with better pitches to hit and thus more production. He could easily be a .300 hitter but would rather by .260-.270.

Yeah this is where it gets crazy. What do you mean he would rather ...? How do you have any idea what he is thinking when he is swinging at those pitches?

I think Adam is a great Oriole. I also am beyond frustrated when he puts himself in the hole swinging at things that are not remotely strikes.

I remember commenting when we picked up Vlad that I didn't like the move because I didn't want any of his batting style to rub off on a young probably impressionable Adam Jones. I was ridiculed on this board for that comment.

(But) here we are many years later lamenting why Adam is trying to hit pitches no where near the strike zone. Really, other than that foible, what else is there not to like about Adam? Who gives more to the Orioles on and off the field?

I wonder why he does swing at those. Does he not pick the ball up out of the pitcher's hand? Can he not discern the spin? Does he really think that those are strikes and he's swinging where he thinks they are going to cross the front of the plate? Does he know that they aren't going to be strikes but like Vlad thinks that he can still hit them?

I know it's a pipe dream and not my place, but I'd love it if he'd address that some time directly - how it is that he swings at SO MANY pitches that aren't (even close to) strikes.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Orioles aren't playing tonight. You can watch this instead. <a href="https://t.co/vBQtKkBtSr">pic.twitter.com/vBQtKkBtSr</a></p>— Ryan Stickel (@RStickel24) <a href="

">August 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Orioles aren't playing tonight. You can watch this instead. <a href="https://t.co/vBQtKkBtSr">pic.twitter.com/vBQtKkBtSr</a></p>— Ryan Stickel (@RStickel24) <a href="
">August 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice and creative

He would rather?

I love AJ, that's why I care. That's why I want him to do better and he has the ability to do so. There's no way he should have he same OPS as Adam Eaton, Odubal Herrera and DD Gregorious. NO WAY! And being that he's hitting lead off, the OBP portion should be more important to him because he's the table setter for Manny, Davis, Trumbo ..... You think it's strange that for all of the offensive firepower we have, we'll only have 1 100 RBI player this year?

I love AJ, that's why I care. That's why I want him to do better and he has the ability to do so. There's no way he should have he same OPS as Adam Eaton, Odubal Herrera and DD Gregorious. NO WAY! And being that he's hitting lead off, the OBP portion should be more important to him because he's the table setter for Manny, Davis, Trumbo ..... You think it's strange that for all of the offensive firepower we have, we'll only have 1 100 RBI player this year?

I am pretty sure there will be more than 1 100 RBI player this year.

AJ is a very strong personality and leader for sure.

I wonder, where he would list out, if we started a new thread and rank the all-time best team leaders over the years?

The Orioles have not had many vocal leaders over the years, even when they had good teams. There really wasn't an obvious leader of the '79-83 teams or the '96-97 teams. So basically, the list of leaders is two people: Frank Robinson and Adam Jones.

That's not to say that guys like Brooks Robinson, Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken, Ken Singleton and Lee May and others weren't leaders in their own ways. They were, but they don't stand out the way Frank and Adam do. I'd be hard pressed to tell you who no. 3 is behind Frank and Adam.

The Orioles have not had many vocal leaders over the years, even when they had good teams. There really wasn't an obvious leader of the '79-83 teams or the '96-97 teams. So basically, the list of leaders is two people: Frank Robinson and Adam Jones.

That's not to say that guys like Brooks Robinson, Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken, Ken Singleton and Lee May and others weren't leaders in their own ways. They were, but they don't stand out the way Frank and Adam do. I'd be hard pressed to tell you who no. 3 is behind Frank and Adam.

makes sense, now that you explain it so well, so I guess that made for a very short discussion. LOL

Archived