Alvarez on Comcast Friday Night...

G-Bex was 1-4 with 1 BB, 2 RBI and a run scored. His hit was a single.

Alvarez was 1-3 with 1 BB, 2 RBI and a run scored. His hit was a single.

Commodore OF De la Osa (has been so-so this year but was a 2nd round pick coming into the season) was 2-4 with 4 RBI and 3 runs scored. He homered, tripled and stole his 23rd base of the year. He was also hit by a pitch.

Flaherty was 2-5 with a run scored.

Vandy won 13-7.

Commodore OF De la Osa (has been so-so this year but was a 2nd round pick coming into the season) was 2-4 with 4 RBI and 3 runs scored. He homered, tripled and stole his 23rd base of the year. He was also hit by a pitch.

Vandy won 13-7.

Did you have a chance to watch the game? If so, what were your impressions of Alvarez and Beckham?

Clearly they are better than Posey. ;):laughlol: Just kidding with you.

Did you have a chance to watch the game? If so, what were your impressions of Alvarez and Beckham?

Saw the last 4 innings - 2 AB by each

Alavarez had a hard ground ball single up the middle.

Beckham was a chopper over the pitchers head.

Billy Beane will flip, but here's my impression.

I couldn't pick Beckham out of a random sample on the field.

Great college player with an aluminum bat, but no way would I spend top five money on him.

Alvarez just the opposite - no doubt he has the presence that says best player on the field, even though the stats for that night say otherwise.

Let me add this - until last night, I did NOT want the O's to take Alvarez.

Now, I would much rather select and pay him than even make an offer to Tex.

Vandy won 13-7.

Thanks, got home late and missed the game, was hoping to get to see their stances and mechanics but oh well. De la Osa sounds like a good offensive pick in the 2nd-3rd range, any ideas on his defense/arm?

They did an article on the 1B from William & Mary in the Post today, I was hoping he would be around in that same 2-3 range, he is leading D-1 in hitting, RBI and slugging.

I was at the office but I think I have the game recorded. Have to check when I get home today. I've seen Gordon play twice, and my impression is 1) elite college player, 2) swing has a loopy hitch and is a little long, 3) right elbow is too high in his load, and 4) his bat is so quick it makes 2 and 3 a non-issue at this level (advanced pro-ball?? That's the real question). He has been clean in the field, though a little uncertain at times. I'd like to see him consistently get his hands out in front of his body when he fields the ball.

Alvarez I have not seen this year. Two tapes to watch but haven't had time yet. Last year he was a stud and screamed .300/30 at the pro level.

I was at the office but I think I have the game recorded. Have to check when I get home today. I've seen Gordon play twice, and my impression is 1) elite college player, 2) swing has a loopy hitch and is a little long, 3) right elbow is too high in his load, and 4) his bat is so quick it makes 2 and 3 a non-issue at this level (advanced pro-ball?? That's the real question). He has been clean in the field, though a little uncertain at times. I'd like to see him consistently get his hands out in front of his body when he fields the ball.

Alvarez I have not seen this year. Two tapes to watch but haven't had time yet. Last year he was a stud and screamed .300/30 at the pro level.

So that is why he scares you, he screams AAAA candidate huh? It is risky to take guys with success with bad mechanics and try to iron them out with a good hitting coach, but the reward part is that if they do work it out, he could go from a 20HR guy to a 30HR guy. I see why you are sort of on the fence about him though. The plus is at least it isnt the other way around, good bat speed can get him through some minor flaws, but you can't coach bat speed, you can coach him on mechanics.

So that is why he scares you, he screams AAAA candidate huh? It is risky to take guys with success with bad mechanics and try to iron them out with a good hitting coach, but the reward part is that if they do work it out, he could go from a 20HR guy to a 30HR guy. I see why you are sort of on the fence about him though. The plus is at least it isnt the other way around, good bat speed can get him through some minor flaws, but you can't coach bat speed, you can coach him on mechanics.

Agreed. Good post.

Thanks, got home late and missed the game, was hoping to get to see their stances and mechanics but oh well. De la Osa sounds like a good offensive pick in the 2nd-3rd range, any ideas on his defense/arm?

They did an article on the 1B from William & Mary in the Post today, I was hoping he would be around in that same 2-3 range, he is leading D-1 in hitting, RBI and slugging.

De la Osa has had a slightly down year. He strikes me as a possibility to come back and play one more year to raise his stock if he doesn't get the signing bonus he wants. I'd be happy picking him in the third round, but might look for someone a little more consistent in round 2 (since BAL is drafting 2-4). Defense isn't a concern for me. Typical issues of taking better lines, but has good speed and a solid arm.

If anyone is interested, Georgia took the second game of the series, 4-2 in ten innings -- Fields got the save walking 2 and striking out 2 in the bottom of the tenth.

Alvarez was 1-4 with a HR and BB.

Beckham was 2-5 (both singles) with 2 SO and a run scored.

De la Oso was blanked -- 0-4.

Flaherty was 1-4 with a single and a run scored.

I was at the game Vandy played vs. TN tech on Wednesday and took a few fotos of Pedro (called Petey by the locals). For those who have not seen him, here's a small glimpse. He's listed as 6' 2" and 205 but appears smaller - perhaps 6', 190, imho, although well-muscled. He swings a very quick bat, fields well - he had five or six chances - and throws and runs well.

Warm up swing

Preparing

Readies for swing

I was at the game Vandy played vs. TN tech on Wednesday and took a few fotos of Pedro (called Petey by the locals). For those who have not seen him, here's a small glimpse. He's listed as 6' 2" and 205 but appears smaller - perhaps 6', 190, imho, although well-muscled. He swings a very quick bat, fields well - he had five or six chances - and throws and runs well.

Warm up swing

Preparing

Readies for swing

Thanks for the photos. Alvarez carries his weight in his lower body, which sometimes is harder to see.

Archived