Davis strikeouts

baltfan

I know it's only year one but this is a contract I think the team will regret giving out. I still think it was a bad signing for the money he got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it is a bad deal but that's what happens when the owner acts the part of

the GM and interferes.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Out of those 60 times, 23 times he was called out on ball. I think that says something about the umpiring. Don't know if there is something about Davis that makes umps ring him up on balls more than others, but being called out on balls in 40% of your called strike threes seems awful.

Where are you getting that data? Does the data indicate that Davis is the victim of bad strike three calls a higher percentage of the time than other hitters?

I've long said that swinging at balls is counter-productive. I'd rather have strike three called as part of an approach to hit balls in your zone rather than changing approach to avoid Ks at all costs. Someone would have to show me evidence that changing approach to avoid Ks is more productive overall.

I have a couple of issues with this. First how many times does Chris swing at bad pitches to put him in a 2 strike hole? That is what is so odd about his approach to me, he looks like he is going to swing at anything until he gets to 2 strikes. Secondly how many times when we started playing the game were you told that pitch was too close to take? When you don't swing at borderline pitches it takes the hitter out of the control of the AB and puts it squarely on the umpire. We all agree that umpires can be erratic at best so why not learn from that and make some adjustments?

At this point I think he is a guess hitter that is not really seeing the ball very well at all. Anyone that swings at uninhabitable pitches yet let's hittable ones go proves that he is just in a bad spot right now. It would do wonders for the O's chances if he can somehow figure this out.

By the way, Davis' L/SO% is the third highest in the AL, behind Jose Altuve and Jacoby Ellsbury. However, those two players strike our far less than Davis, and so their total number of looking strikeouts are less than half of Davis'.

Davis has been caught looking 60 times. Second most in the league is 43.

By the way, Davis' L/SO% is the third highest in the AL, behind Jose Altuve and Jacoby Ellsbury. However, those two players strike our far less than Davis, and so their total number of looking strikeouts are less than half of Davis'.

Davis has been caught looking 60 times. Second most in the league is 43.

It should also be pointed out that he is third in the AL in BB in spite of his slump.

Some very interesting points in this thread. I didn't realize he has 60 K's looking. And I didn't know his walk rate had increased that dramatically.

As much as I believe in getting a good pitch to hit, maybe CD needs to be a little more aggressive. You can't hit the ball if you don't swing.

I guarantee that CD would look at few called third strikes with a robo ump. I watch with pitch fx and there are countless times in every game that a pitch in the same location is called a strike one time and a ball another. They all have inconsitent strike zones. :angryfire::cussing::rolleyestf:

I agree and that's what I was talking about. You would think that after Umpiring hundreds and hundreds of games they would be more consistent. I understand everyone blows a call occasionally but the strike zones are wildly inconsistent from Ump to Ump. And sometimes from pitch to pitch.

Part of his problem is that he doesn't adjust to the umpire's strike zone on borderline pitches. His last strike out last nigh was 3 straight called strikes. Each pitch was borderline (arguably a ball), but each one was off the plate by virtually the exact same amount. His approach should include some adjustment to the ump. At least foul off pitches with 2 strikes on you.

Part of his problem is that he doesn't adjust to the umpire's strike zone on borderline pitches. His last strike out last nigh was 3 straight called strikes. Each pitch was borderline (arguably a ball), but each one was off the plate by virtually the exact same amount. His approach should include some adjustment to the ump. At least foul off pitches with 2 strikes on you.

Personally I think the Umps ought to call the strike zone as defined in the rule book. After all, that's what they are being paid to do. I'm not trying to be snarky, it just seems it's getting worse every year.

Blaming 60 K's looking on umpiring is ludicrous. There is big room for improvement and the hitting coaches should be telling him to be more aggressive. That said, swinging at obvious balls will cause the slump to get worse and longer. Bottom line is that he needs to snap out of it. Taking pitches for strike three is just another symptom of not seeing the ball well.

Personally I think the Umps ought to call the strike zone as defined in the rule book. After all, that's what they are being paid to do. I'm not trying to be snarky, it just seems it's getting worse every year.

I agree, but if other players adjust, why can't he?

Of course, there's always the possibility that he has a vision issue. It happened to Eddie Murray at one point in his career. He got contacts or lasic surgery, and it made a big difference for him. Hopefully, the O's have each player get an eye exam at least twice a year.

I have a couple of issues with this. First how many times does Chris swing at bad pitches to put him in a 2 strike hole? That is what is so odd about his approach to me, he looks like he is going to swing at anything until he gets to 2 strikes. Secondly how many times when we started playing the game were you told that pitch was too close to take? When you don't swing at borderline pitches it takes the hitter out of the control of the AB and puts it squarely on the umpire. We all agree that umpires can be erratic at best so why not learn from that and make some adjustments?

At this point I think he is a guess hitter that is not really seeing the ball very well at all. Anyone that swings at uninhabitable pitches yet let's hittable ones go proves that he is just in a bad spot right now. It would do wonders for the O's chances if he can somehow figure this out.

The solution to his problems is almost certainly not to swing at anything halfway close with two strikes.

I agree, but if other players adjust, why can't he?

Of course, there's always the possibility that he has a vision issue. It happened to Eddie Murray at one point in his career. He got contacts or lasic surgery, and it made a big difference for him. Hopefully, the O's have each player get an eye exam at least twice a year.

Baseball is hard, pitchers adjust, and everyone reacts differently. I know the excuse for 2014 was Adderall, but what if its just that he sometimes takes a real long time to adjust approach?

Archived