Davis strikeouts

baltfan

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck says stuff like this to take pressure off Davis while he is struggling. While it's true that Davis has played very good defense at 1B and has made other contributions, that can't make up for the .569 OPS he has posted over the last 38 games. We'd have been better off with a guy who posted a .750 OPS and was a mediocre defender and baserunner during that period. We just have to hope davis snaps out of it down the stretch. Taking the season as a whole, he has still been a valuable player (2.4 rWAR) and hopefully he can get hot over the final 45 games.

I thought his last five games, he shown some signs of coming back to life.

Trumbo's ball 4 yesterday was more of a strike than Davis' strike 3 was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's false - according to

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles-san-francisco-giants-360814126/

Scroll down to Trumbo's at-bat. Ball 4 is clearly off the plate. All 3 strikes to Davis show up as being on the boarderline - each strike the same distance from the plate.

Buck says stuff like this to take pressure off Davis while he is struggling. While it's true that Davis has played very good defense at 1B and has made other contributions, that can't make up for the .569 OPS he has posted over the last 38 games. We'd have been better off with a guy who posted a .750 OPS and was a mediocre defender and baserunner during that period. We just have to hope davis snaps out of it down the stretch. Taking the season as a whole, he has still been a valuable player (2.4 rWAR) and hopefully he can get hot over the final 45 games.

I wonder how things would have been last month if we had benched CD and played Alvarez at 1B Trumbo at DH and Reimold in RF......:scratchchinhmm:

I wonder how things would have been last month if we had benched CD and played Alvarez at 1B Trumbo at DH and Reimold in RF......:scratchchinhmm:

If Reimold is the CD replacement, we may as well let CD swing himself out of it.

I think you shouldn't forgot the GG and solid defense he brings to the field every game.

Buck pointed out a few weeks ago, about Davis scoring from first on a ball hit to the outfield, he said there wasn't many other 1st that could do the same thing.

The defense is the limited value I was referencing. Offensively, his value has been nearly null over the past six weeks. I hope the guy plays better, too, and I want to see him succeed. But I'm not going to pretend he hasn't been awful since July 1.

The defense is the limited value I was referencing. Offensively, his value has been nearly null over the past six weeks. I hope the guy plays better, too, and I want to see him succeed. But I'm not going to pretend he hasn't been awful since July 1.
He showed signs of life for three straight games, and is 0/7 with 6 k's and a couple walks in the last two. Let's not pretend he's on a 5-game tear.

I think you are very dismissive of his defense, and not sure why, he has very good range for 1st, and with a good glove and long stretch.

No, but, .333 with OPS of 950+, looks better than .155 and OPS of .500, too. Neither of which is the norm for him.

I think you are very dismissive of his defense, and not sure why, he has very good range for 1st, and with a good glove and long stretch.

No, but, .333 with OPS of 950+, looks better than .155 and OPS of .500, too. Neither of which is the norm for him.

And I think you're putting too much stock into his defense. FanGraphs has him at fourth in UZR, yes, but DWAR projections don't even have him in the Top 25. And regardless, the guy's been a black hole at the plate. You're quoting five games. That second set of numbers you threw out there literally reflects the guy's entire July.

Schoop has as many RBI as Davis 62. Davis is our clean up hitter. Jones has more and he's our lead off hitter. Now that's sad. I hate to say I told you so. Davis was not worth the kind of money he is getting. The strike outs are costing us games. if people will notice no other team in their right mind would sign Davis when he was a FA. I don't like talking bad about a player but we're in the hunt for a playoff spot. Maybe it's time to rest Davis.

Archived