Let Kim Hit Against Lefties

Steve Dalkowski

He's a plus defender at 3rd base. I agree that bench players aren't going to blow you away. But Reimold has been living off one hot streak all season.

OPS by month

April/March- 33 PA 1.136 OPS

May- 54 PA .703 OPS

June- 43 PA .592 OPS

July- 39 PA .488 OPS

August- 19 PA .330 OPS

He's 3 for his last 40 AB's. It's a shame Rickard and Pearce are hurt.

731 innings over five seasons isn't sufficient to prove or disprove your statement.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
731 innings over five seasons isn't sufficient to prove or disprove your statement.

C'mon, you're taking this need proof stuff a little too far. Stats back it up. The person that knows the most about baseball in Baltimore thinks pretty highly of him too. I'm not talking about Dave Symboski, that would be Buck Showalter.

C'mon, you're taking this need proof stuff a little too far. Stats back it up. The person that knows the most about baseball in Baltimore thinks pretty highly of him too. I'm not talking about Dave Symboski, that would be Buck Showalter.

When CoC doesn't like a player, it's pretty easy to tell. :)

I think the phrase you're looking for is "manager's opinion through the filter of the media" not "proof". Saying Buck has said nice things about his utility player isn't the same as saying he's objectively a plus third baseman.

I think the phrase you're looking for is "manager's opinion through the filter of the media" not "proof". Saying Buck has said nice things about his utility player isn't the same as saying he's objectively a plus third baseman.

My eye test showed that Ryan played plus third baseball when filling in for Manny over the past few seasons.

He will never be Manny, but then again, nobody else is either.

My eye test showed that Ryan played plus third baseball when filling in for Manny over the past few seasons.

He will never be Manny, but then again, nobody else is either.

I would hazard a guess that you don't sit in the stands game after game focusing on the minutia of how each third baseman plays the position. My biggest issue with the eye test is that no one does that. Even scouts don't have a goal of watching third basemen with the objective of comparing and contrasting the 30+ regulars in MLB each season. Your eye test is seriously constrained by what's shown and not shown on TV, who the Orioles have on their roster, and the very limited number of games/innings you'll see from the opponents.

I would hazard a guess that you don't sit in the stands game after game focusing on the minutia of how each third baseman plays the position. My biggest issue with the eye test is that no one does that. Even scouts don't have a goal of watching third basemen with the objective of comparing and contrasting the 30+ regulars in MLB each season. Your eye test is seriously constrained by what's shown and not shown on TV, who the Orioles have on their roster, and the very limited number of games/innings you'll see from the opponents.

For crying out loud.

Ryan has a good glove and a strong arm.

Ive seen enough good and bad third play the position to know the difference. You might even remember a few that played there before Manny came up.

Flaherty has been a solid and reliable infield replacement at multiple positions since 2012, including being a valuable part of two playoff teams, where he had extended stints as an everyday player.

Reimold has been inconsistent, often injured journeyman with an easily replaced combination of speed, glove and bat.

If you are arguing against the value of Flaherty, you are arguing just to argue.

It was the KBO. And they threw 87 mph.

Just because that is what he's exposed to, that doesn't necessarily mean he can't hit faster pitching. He may be a player that learns to adjust and can be at least average batting against lefties. He may be a player that has to see it on a regular basis to get a good read on him. I don't know, but I don't think now is the time to experiment with it. But maybe next year out of the gate it may be worth taking a serious look at, especially against certain lefties.

For crying out loud.

Ryan has a good glove and a strong arm.

Ive seen enough good and bad third play the position to know the difference. You might even remember a few that played there before Manny came up.

I'm not specifically criticizing you, I'm just saying that an eye test evaluation of fielding is dramatically less accurate than standard evaluations of pitchers or hitters. There's a reason guys would get 12 or 14 or 16 Gold Gloves while pretty much nobody leads the league in any objective measure that often - because GGs were completely based on eye tests that are terrible at subtle differentiation so voters would give up and assume Brooks was the best for the 16th straight year.

How do you think the batting title would go if you weren't allowed to see hitting stats and had to rely on how everyone looked? I'd guess Ichiro might have 14 batting titles, Rose about the same, including years where he hit .280.

I'm not specifically criticizing you, I'm just saying that an eye test evaluation of fielding is dramatically less accurate than standard evaluations of pitchers or hitters. There's a reason guys would get 12 or 14 or 16 Gold Gloves while pretty much nobody leads the league in any objective measure that often - because GGs were completely based on eye tests that are terrible at subtle differentiation so voters would give up and assume Brooks was the best for the 16th straight year.

How do you think the batting title would go if you weren't allowed to see hitting stats and had to rely on how everyone looked? I'd guess Ichiro might have 14 batting titles, Rose about the same, including years where he hit .280.

Ok, I get it.

In the case of Flash the eye test and Buck's opinion is all you have to go on. He hasn't accumulated enough innings at any of his positions for the defensive metrics to have any meaning. I'll go out on a limb and say he is a better 3B than either CD or Alvarez. And if Buck thought he was sub par as a UTIF then they would have Janish up who is a good glove guy by the numbers.

Archived