Which Draft Prospect Would You Not Want?

Who would you be against the Orioles taking with our pick?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you be against the Orioles taking with our pick?

Wieters bat is likely not special at 1B, but projects so as a catcher. No way you draft Posey and move a special talent like Wieters off his position. I understand that you are basing your opinion on Wieters being unable to handle the position defensively down the road... fair point, but how far down the road? I think Wieters will be just fine for the perceivable future (5-8 years) and a likely All-Star at that.

I disagree. I think .285/30 is all-star calibre at 1b. I don't question Wieters as a catcher at all. I think he's the bee's knees. I just worry that Mauer can't stay healthy and he is only in his 4th full season. Posey has the added benefit of not catching until recently, meaning there is less wear on his knees (on top of him being four inches shorter and about 25 pounds lighter).

I agree Wieters will be an all-star candidate year-in and year-out at C. I just want to avoid major injuries and would rather have him for 160 games than 140.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While Markpolis and I see this the same way, and he has already responded, I still wished to respond myself.

You seem to be of the opinion that Wieters will be unlikely to sustain a fairly healthy number of games by remaining at catcher becauise he is a big man at 6' 5... thus, if a talent like Posey were to be taken it would please you knowing that Wieters' career would likely be extended. I do understand this... however, would you prefer 'Wieters at 1B and Posey at C' to 'Smoak at 1B and Wieters at C'?

Wieters projects as an All-Star caliber Catcher, but merely an above average 1B'man. I'd rather keep Wieters behind the plate.

BTW, I know you said that you'd prefer to pick a couple other players over Posey, and that you are merely basing your answer on having Posey as a viable option. :)

No, I would not prefer Posey/Wieters to Wieters/Smoak. However, I would not be upset if the Orioles's Scouting Department decided Posey/Wieters was the better option and drafted Posey. That was the criteria for the poll -- "would you not want them".

There is also nothing wrong with having Wieters catch 120 games and then be available as a pinch hitter off the bench. The Yanks do that a lot with their starters -- instead of using them at DH, they sit them until they need a great hitter in a key situation off the bench.

I agree, but then you are saying you're fine with leaving around 3 ABs per game on the table (times forty-two games is 126 ABs a season). That amount to turning Wieters into a 20-22 HR catcher rather than a 28-30 HR 1b/dh. As I've said, I love Wieters as the total package, but his bat is more valuable to BAL than anything -- especially if can add another all-star calibre catcher with plus-defense, plus-receiving skills and a plus-arm (to go along with .295-.305/15-18 HR).

Greg...a question for you

How often do catchers the quality of Wieters and Posey come out back to back?

I think that we need a bat more than pitching, so any hitter on the list would be OK. Posey doen't seem like a logical choice, but you can always trade good catchers. Look what Atlanta did with Salty

Greg...a question for you

How often do catchers the quality of Wieters and Posey come out back to back?

I think that we need a bat more than pitching, so any hitter on the list would be OK. Posey doen't seem like a logical choice, but you can always trade good catchers. Look what Atlanta did with Salty

Sorry to answer to Greg, but Wieters is a special talent. IMO, Posey is not.

Do you draft a player with the intent on trading him? If Posey was far and away better than the other players the Orioles could draft at #4 then they should draft him. He's not. The Orioles drafted Wieters to be their franchise catcher. It makes no sense to draft another catcher with the #4 pick when we have so many other glaring holes to fill.

Do you draft a player with the intent on trading him? If Posey was far and away better than the other players the Orioles could draft at #4 then they should draft him. He's not. The Orioles drafted Wieters to be their franchise catcher. It makes no sense to draft another catcher with the #4 pick when we have so many other glaring holes to fill.

There's an argument to be made that you shouldn't rely on a catcher as a primary building block for a team, offensively.

Again, I love Wieters. I have bats rated higher than Posey. I don't think Posey is as "ordinary" a player as you make him out to be. It rubs me the wrong way, a little, that so many people would be upset at getting Posey. I'd think, knowing BAL has Wieters already, selecting Posey would be a pretty big indicator that Jordan and Co. Think he's the real deal. That would excite me...

Wieters projects as an All-Star caliber Catcher, but merely an above average 1B'man. I'd rather keep Wieters behind the plate.

Precisely. We could have an all-star level 1B and C, but by drafting Posey, we'd likely have neither. They'd only be above average. Wieters can always transfer to 1B later in his career if needs be.

And you don't draft someone who has a good chance of being trade bat, IMO.

Precisely. We could have an all-star level 1B and C, but by drafting Posey, we'd likely have neither. They'd only be above average. Wieters can always transfer to 1B later in his career if needs be.

And you don't draft someone who has a good chance of being trade bat, IMO.

Hmmmmm. Posey is considered to be a top 5 talent in the draft but is merely above average and not a potential all star? I'm to believe Tampa is being rumored to leave a bunch of potential all stars on the board and take a merely above-average catcher just because they already have too much talent elsewhere in their system?

Wieters is only an above average bat at 1b and not a potential all star? Can someone please explain where this is coming from? Wieters is one of, if not the, best bat in all of HiA.

On what are you guys basing these opinions?

Again I ask, why is Posey considered a top 5 talent, worthy of being picked #1 overall if he is not a special talent? TAM is apparently leaving potential all stars on the board so they can take a good but not special player? Wouldn't they be better off trading TEX for a one of Salty/Teagarden/Laird and drafting a stud?

I think you all have great thoughts on the draft, I'm just not getting where the anti-Posey stuff is coming from. He is legit and, while not possessing the power potential of Wieters, is absolutely a candidate to become one of the better catchers in all of baseball when he eventually reaches the bigs.

Maybe if you guys could post some stuff indicating weaknesses in his game, or reasons he isn't "special" it'd help me out. Are these scouting write-ups you're reading? Articles from BA? I'm just curious. I'd like to know if I'm way off, and it seems like I must be.

I said no to Crow, Posey and Matusz.

Crow: the mechanics just scare me, looks like TJ waiting to happen.

Posey: We already have a Catcher, and drafting someone that will have good "value" to potentially trade to acquire a talent like Smoak, Beckham or Hosmer may be in 3 years makes no sense if we can just draft them now.

Matusz: I really have no problem with him, but I would prefer a bat to another pitcher at the moment, to try to get some balance in the system.

Hmmmmm. Posey is considered to be a top 5 talent in the draft but is merely above average and not a potential all star? I'm to believe Tampa is being rumored to leave a bunch of potential all stars on the board and take a merely above-average catcher just because they already have too much talent elsewhere in their system?

Wieters is only an above average bat at 1b and not a potential all star? Can someone please explain where this is coming from? Wieters is one of, if not the, best bat in all of HiA.

On what are you guys basing these opinions?

Well said buddy. Doesn't Posey project pretty favorably to Mauer? And he was a no. 1 overall pick and got some MVP votes a year or two ago. Wieters is the power guy, and Posey is the avg. guy. Nothing knocking either, they just have two different styles of playing, both just as valuable. With the way baseball has developed in the past 10 years people like to only value the sexy traits like homeruns, strikeouts, and a cannon arm. Things like bat control, a good eye for the zone, calling a good game, defense, smart baserunning, willing to do the small things to win a game and not just inflate the stats all get undervalued today.

I'm going to once again point out that Posey is having a FAR superior season this year than anything that Wieters ever had in college.

If you don't believe me, look here http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1311220&postcount=19

Now, with that said, I'm not saying that Posey is a better prospect than Wieters. But its not as far as people on this board are making you think. They both have make-up that is off the charts. Wieters is a switch hitter, but Posey is an above average runner for any position. More importantly, I can tell you first hand after having watched them both in college numerous times that they are both very special players. If he's the best player available, you take him.

I'd like to know what all of this negativity towards Posey is based on. Granted, I'm not a big fan of Matusz, but I freely admit that my view is completely irrational. I'm not a fan of taking a pitcher that high.

I'm not claiming to be a professional scout by any means, but have any of you even seen Posey play on TV, much less in person? Are you simply drawing conclusions on what you have read?

I said before that I'll throw down on any bet that Posey is an All-Star catcher by the 2013 season, and I stand by that statement.

I'm going to once again point out that Posey is having a FAR superior season this year than anything that Wieters ever had in college.

If you don't believe me, look here http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1311220&postcount=19

Now, with that said, I'm not saying that Posey is a better prospect than Wieters. But its not as far as people on this board are making you think. They both have make-up that is off the charts. Wieters is a switch hitter, but Posey is an above average runner for any position. More importantly, I can tell you first hand after having watched them both in college numerous times that they are both very special players. If he's the best player available, you take him.

I'd like to know what all of this negativity towards Posey is based on. Granted, I'm not a big fan of Matusz, but I freely admit that my view is completely irrational. I'm not a fan of taking a pitcher that high.

I'm not claiming to be a professional scout by any means, but have any of you even seen Posey play on TV, much less in person? Are you simply drawing conclusions on what you have read?

I said before that I'll throw down on any bet that Posey is an All-Star catcher by the 2013 season, and I stand by that statement.

Don't get me wrong, I like Posey, and he'll be a great player for someone, worthy of going no. 1 even if there is a need like TB has....BUT...with already having Wieters, it is a waste for us to draft him. We fill other holes with other special talents out there, not stockpile one and hope for the best.

We could take a Beckham and have allstars at C and SS, instead of 2 allstar caliber guys splitting time at the same position (and anyone saying to move either one of these guys is out of their mind, half of their value comes from the position they play like the Beckhams)

I tend to agree with this. All of this.

Don't get me wrong, I like Posey, and he'll be a great player for someone, worthy of going no. 1 even if there is a need like TB has....BUT...with already having Wieters, it is a waste for us to draft him. We fill other holes with other special talents out there, not stockpile one and hope for the best.

We could take a Beckham and have allstars at C and SS, instead of 2 allstar caliber guys splitting time at the same position (and anyone saying to move either one of these guys is out of their mind, half of their value comes from the position they play like the Beckhams)

Do Mauer's injuries not concern you with regards to the beating Wieters's knees will be taking once he is the bigs? Just curious. When I see Mauer now struggling to stay healthy for a season, I think of Wieters and shudder. I don't want my 30 HR bat out of the lineup for a quarter of the season on average by the time he's a three year veteran.

Archived