Which Draft Prospect Would You Not Want?

Who would you be against the Orioles taking with our pick?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you be against the Orioles taking with our pick?

I have read this whole thread and wondered why nobody mentioned picking Posey as a 1B. I saw him play recently in person and he is clearly a man among boys at the highest level of college ball. I would love to have him at 1b and spelling Weiters 30 times per year. Between C, 1B and DH, they both should get 600 ABs per year. Posey is a former SS, so playing 1B should be a breeze. Here is the real question:

If Posey was playing 1B all this year at FSU, would he be considered a top five player?

Would love to hear Greg's analysis of that question.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have read this whole thread and wondered why nobody mentioned picking Posey as a 1B. I saw him play recently in person and he is clearly a man among boys at the highest level of college ball. I would love to have him at 1b and spelling Weiters 30 times per year. Between C, 1B and DH, they both should get 600 ABs per year. Posey is a former SS, so playing 1B should be a breeze. Here is the real question:

If Posey was playing 1B all this year at FSU, would he be considered a top five player?

That all depends. Not all players take to moving to new positions. They may be able to get by doing it, but might decrease their productivity. There is no promise that if he had moved to 1B that he would be putting up the numbers he is. Also, Posey is more of a high avg. hitter, looks like a prototypical #2 hitter, not the power guy that you need or expect at 1B. There are just too many variables when there are already options like Smoak, Hosmer, and Alonso that already play 1B and have shown to have the power numbers for a corner INF position.

His bat does not project well for a first basemen. So to answer your question, I would say no, he would not be considered a top 5 pick if he played 1B.

That all depends. Not all players take to moving to new positions. They may be able to get by doing it, but might decrease their productivity. There is no promise that if he had moved to 1B that he would be putting up the numbers he is. Also, Posey is more of a high avg. hitter, looks like a prototypical #2 hitter, not the power guy that you need or expect at 1B. There are just too many variables when there are already options like Smoak, Hosmer, and Alonso that already play 1B and have shown to have the power numbers for a corner INF position.

Agreed. The same thing can be said about moving Wieters to 1B. We don't how well he would adjust to the position.

I think if he had stayed at shortstop, he'd still be a top 5 worthy pick. Its been two years since any of us have seen him there, but my guess is that he could stick there (from what I recall seeing).

I think he and Beckham were about the same defensively.

Thanks for thinking of me.

I love these sort of 'thinking outside the box' ideas. However, Posey's ability to play 1B defensively and the power generally required to stay at 1B would be questioned. I do think as a former SS that he would probably handle 1B without too many problems. I'm of the opinion that Posey will hit about .300 with 15-20 HR's per year, which is outstanding for a catcher or SS, but not quite what most teams look for in a first baseman. I love Posey as a catcher and believe his BEST value remains there, and he projects as a potential all-star caliber catcher.

With Smoak & Hosmer as excellent hitters and gifted defensive first basemen, and with Pedro Alvarez considered as an option there as well, there would be better choices available at pick #4.

So... would Posey be a top 5 pick if he were a 1B? I think not, but he would be a first rounder, perhaps a mid-first rounder. I hope this helps. :)

Welcome to posting heaven! LOL

Thanks for the kind mention. Did you mean that by reading the posts here and elsewhere that you have determined we'll take either Matusz or Smoak, OR did you mean that you have an inside source or such that you've gathered that info from?

warehouse;)

warehouse;)

Reading into what you've posted it sems that you are implying that the Orioles FO has determined that with both Alvarez & TBeckham gone, we will likely be choosing between Matusz and Smoak, and that this is information you've gathered directly from an inside source. Correct?

warehouse;)
Reading into what you've posted it sems that you are implying that the Orioles FO has determined that with both Alvarez & TBeckham gone, we will likely be choosing between Matusz and Smoak, and that this is information you've gathered directly from an inside source. Correct?

Color me skeptical. Anyone can claim to have a source. Remember the Cubs fan?

Sorry for just getting back with you Greg, PC problems. My buddy has passed this on to me. Remember this is his opinion and there is no guarantee what teams with picks ahead of the O's will do. Just what he thinks they will do. Also remember, do not spill a drink on your laptop.:cussing:

Archived