Mike Wright needs to be in the pen

eddie83

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have three long men/mop up types in Wilson, Worley and Ubaldo. In 2012 both Matusz and Hunter were useful parts of the pen down the stretch. For years we have heard Tony and the scouts say he has a chance to be better as a reliever. Why not try it? We have multiple pitchers that could fill the role of a spot start.

To be clear, I'm not against it. I just don't think he'll be as good as some other guys we've converted from starters, like Chris Ray and Jim Johnson. His command in the strike zone isn't as good as theirs was.

The promotion of Wright doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He was sent down because he didn't have the emotional makeup to be successful in the majors. Now with the pennant race on the line they call him back up. Seems like the best time for him to fill and important role on the team would be next year when there is not was much stress or maybe in a mop up role after Sept 1st.

I would rather have seen Gunkel, Rodriguez, or Oliver for the next 9 days. I hope Wright is going to the pen. Worley seems like the guy to go in the rotation.

The promotion of Wright doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He was sent down because he didn't have the emotional makeup to be successful in the majors. Now with the pennant race on the line they call him back up. Seems like the best time for him to fill and important role on the team would be next year when there is not was much stress or maybe in a mop up role after Sept 1st.

I would rather have seen Gunkel, Rodriguez, or Oliver for the next 9 days. I hope Wright is going to the pen. Worley seems like the guy to go in the rotation.

I think it's just a sign that they believe Wright has the best stuff of anyone available, and they hope he can get his head on straight.

He's a live arm to replace Tillman's dead arm.

He can pitch five innings in relief after Ubaldo gets knocked out of the game after 2 1/3.

Considering the fact that Gunkel was scratched from his start with the AAA-Tides last night, I suspect that we still may wind up seeing him up with the Orioles in the near future.

Wright is obviously here to piggyback Jimenez tomorrow ........ and if neither of them pitch at least reasonably well, Wright can be sent back down again, and Gunkel (with a corresponding move for the Orioles' 40-man roster) can be promoted to the Orioles.

I suspect that at least part of the reason for bringing up Wright before Gunkel is because Wright is already on the 40-man roster, and Gunkel is not ...... so perhaps Duquette is taking it one game at a time, and keeping all of his options open.

Granted, you could make the argument that with the Orioles fighting for a playoff berth as desperately as they are that each and every game from here on out is important, and that if Gunkel is clearly the better option than Wright, then Duquette should immediately add him to the 40-man roster and bring him up to the Big League club ........ but I'm not necessarily sure that Gunkel is CLEARLY, GOING AWAY the better option. And if that's the case, I can understand Duquette doing what he has done.

Archived