Is it Duquette or Angelos to blame here?

markakis8

Nobody is to blame here, we all get a prize for participation. The OH lovechild in DD is safe and El Gordo and others can continue to make smug comments crediting theirselves for being right all along. Because at the OH, they knew all along but their sensitive ears just can't take the criticisms. It makes their eyes hurt reading the truth. But at the end of the day, they are always right and different opinions never tolerated.

Yes, people just like to complain. Poor DD has had little to work with in his budget. A mere $30 million or so for starting pitching-maybe he should have been pan handling for starting pitching. Poor guy has it so hard. It isn't his fault. Leave him alone.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trog, you must be living in some kind of fantasy world where you think doctors are dictating contracts. Duquette waited until the last minute and was desperate. To think otherwise just shows how much you can't pin any responsibility on Duquette. When he makes terrible signings, it's Angelos's fault for not allowing him to spend $30/m a year on a pitcher. When he makes a good signing, he's the best GM in the world to you. You're ridiculous.

Keep drinking that Koolaid, Trog.

You are a smart guy.

I would recommend not posting here anymore, it isn't worth it.

It is the same old crowd of bullies, it's not worth it. Other places aren't so dysfunctional.

You aren't crazy. I assure you, all relative.

The question in the OP is more than a little comical to me.

DD has built a team with a payroll larger than most Os fans could have dreamed of, has forfeited draft picks for Gallardo and Jimenez, has dealt away draft picks early in two different seasons to shed relievers he acquired or put on the team, dealt away JakeA, EdRod, and mid-season top 25 prospect Josh Hader, has spent the least amount internationally in his term than all but perhaps five franchises and, oh by the way, inherited from his predecessor an all-star CF, an all-star closer, an all-star 1B and a top five player in all of MLB, plus our starting SS and 2B!

Hey, kudos to our GM for currently having us in the race and in position for a playoff spot, but I think a majority of teams could start from a given point in time and forfeit or trade the draft picks and talent we have given up while also ramping up the payroll and find itself in a competitive position. A comfortable majority of GMs wouldn't have had to burn down the farm system to get to this point and THAT is why we find ourselves in a playoff race with teams that have significantly more minor league talent than we do to either call up and perform or trade for top talent. It is kind of interesting that the same GM who gave up a pick for the non-performing Jimenez also gave up a pick for the non-performing Gallardo when pretty much every other GM in the game stayed away. It is unbelievable that the team finds itself in a competitive position despite the poor performance and wasted investment in those two.

The Nats can call up Lopez and Turner and NOT trade away Fedde, Robles and other. The Sox can call up Benintendo and deal for Pomeranz while holding onto Betts, waiting for Bradley Jr to develop. The Jays deal for Tulo and Price last year and let Price go and are now ahead of us again.

I could go on, but am dumbfounded that folks even suggest blame lay at the feet of Angelos relative to DD. Hopefully, the team can get to the finish line in its current position or better, but it doesn't feel like a team (or overall organization talent) with a lot in the tank for this stretch run or a team ready to compete again in 2017 and beyond.

Not much to argue with. Winning is nice; most folks realize plate spinning cannot last forever. We'll see how long.

Not much to argue with. Winning is nice; most folks realize plate spinning cannot last forever. We'll see how long.

Hoosiers post might be the best thing I have read for a while on here and what many of us have been saying for a while now.

DD isn't Syd Thrift, but he isn't a wizard either and we are going to pay dearly for these decisions. If we would have sold a piece or two last year instead of trading for Parra, we would be a much stronger team.

The Yankees have set themselves up for years to come. Cashman robbed so many this year, he deserves colossal credit.

Hoosiers post might be the best thing I have read for a while on here and what many of us have been saying for a while now.

DD isn't Syd Thrift, but he isn't a wizard either and we are going to pay dearly for these decisions. If we would have sold a piece or two last year instead of trading for Parra, we would be a much stronger team.

The Yankees have set themselves up for years to come. Cashman robbed so many this year, he deserves colossal credit.

And next year he'll throw a half billion $ at it and look like a genius...

And next year he'll throw a half billion $ at it and look like a genius...

I get your point, but you are underappreciating what it took for Cashman to talk ownership into being willing to make those trades. That's a huge deal, and did the lion's share of the work in setting the organization up for the next ten years.

Nice to see you back. Please don't just stop by to tell others how bad it is to post here though. If you hate it, stay away. Have a great weekend.

I get your point, but you are underappreciating what it took for Cashman to talk ownership into being willing to make those trades. That's a huge deal, and did the lion's share of the work in setting the organization up for the next ten years.

That's true. But their .500 ish position kind of forced all their hands.

You think Josh Hader has a lot of value in trade? That is comical. He has is 0 and 5 with a 5.5 ERA and 1.5 WHIP in triple A 4 years after we traded him. He was a 19th round pick.

Yes, this Josh Hader - top 40 in mlb.com's mid-season top prospect list. Currently rated ahead of the Nat's Lopez and top 3 pick in 2016 draft Nick Senzel

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016

The things you thing are funny, I don't understand.

Nobody is to blame here, we all get a prize for participation. The OH lovechild in DD is safe and El Gordo and others can continue to make smug comments crediting theirselves for being right all along. Because at the OH, they knew all along but their sensitive ears just can't take the criticisms. It makes their eyes hurt reading the truth. But at the end of the day, they are always right and different opinions never tolerated.

Yes, people just like to complain. Poor DD has had little to work with in his budget. A mere $30 million or so for starting pitching-maybe he should have been pan handling for starting pitching. Poor guy has it so hard. It isn't his fault. Leave him alone.

Please cite one post where I have made a smug comment crediting myself for having been right all along. I grant you I find it difficult to refrain from sarcasm given the level of silliness I often find here. But tell me if DD were given 30 M and cart blanche to do with it what he would, do you seriously think he would have signed Davis, Gallardo, Trumbo, and Alvarez?

You think the O's are in the same position as the MFY were this year and should take the same route?

You think the O's are in the same position as the MFY were this year and should take the same route?

I would not have been upset if Baltimore had elected to trade Britton or O'Day if it brought back the package Miller or Chapman brought back.

What does he deserve credit for? No one knows how good these prospects Cashman has traded for will do. To declare these trades successful because Keith Law (or someone like him) says they received "top rated" prospects is at best premature. The fact is that since 2012 the Orioles have won more games then anyone else in this division. The GM and manager deserve credit for that.

Archived