In Hindsight, one move

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a no brainer -

I would have never given the Cubs Arrieta and Strop!!!!!

I would trade those two again. Couldn't stand either one. Arrieta blowing up after 4 innings game and Strop walking guys when the game was on the line.

Honestly Arrieta could have stalled out in AAA for us, but it would still be that move. It hurts that much to see him pitching at a Cy Young level for another team.

Why do you care what he has done after he was traded? I don't understand this mentality. You make your decision at the time and you move on. Arrieta was awful I am glad he was traded. I never wanted to see him pitch another game for the Orioles. He is pitching in the National League he can win 10 straight Cy Young awards and it will have zero effect on me.

With the way he was pitching for us' date=' do you believe we would have gotten the same performance as he is giving the Cubs?[/quote']

No way. We don't develop pitching. He would be like Gausman and Bundy, hit or miss. Just like he was before we traded him.

Why do you care what he has done after he was traded? I don't understand this mentality. You make your decision at the time and you move on. Arrieta was awful I am glad he was traded. I never wanted to see him pitch another game for the Orioles. He is pitching in the National League he can win 10 straight Cy Young awards and it will have zero effect on me.

Because it shows how bad our caching is, that's why.

Because it shows how bad our caching is, that's why.

The pitching coaches that Arrieta had problems with have been fired.

I would say the only trade I have issues with is Zach Davies only because we didn't have anybody else to come up this year and we traded E-Rod the year before. I figured that when they traded E-Rod they must have thought Zach was better than him. Parra wasn't worth it IMHO. But at the end of the day I am not out checking Zach stats to feel bad about it. I had my moment last year where I thought it wasn't a good trade and I have moved on.

Definitely would like to have a re-do on the Arietta trade. Buck made a comment last night in regards to Bundy...He basically said developing a pitcher is easy of they're good, you just stay our of their way. They focused so much on TTTP with Jake, that they had him over thinking on the mound. He has shown he is definitely good...really good.

I wish our GM was still Andy MacPhail. I definitely approve of certain Duquette moves, but I think a MacPhail/Showalter team would be even better than what we have.

Would MacPhail have dealt Arrietta? Would he have signed Parra, Gallardo, Ubaldo? Hard to say. It's also hard to say if he would have taken us into rebuild mode in 2013 or 2015, potentially dashing our hopes for the playoffs this year by focusing on building up the farm for the future. But I put a lot of stock in his ability to get a few fantastic trades with lasting benefit, after the Erik Bedard trade.

Sure, we are unlikely to get a trade that lopsided again for a few decades, but he might've been able to get a trade like the Arrietta trade where we got the better end of the bargain, with MacPhail's perspective. Dan's year over year re-tooling approach has worked primarily because his predecessor set him up with just enough pieces to put the Orioles over the top and start contending.

I think if we threw Dan Duquette into the Orioles' organization around 2008, he would have either had to adjust and make the same/similar moves as Andy MacPhail made setting up for the 2012 turnaround, or he'd have tried to pointlessly "re-tool" and we'd still be deep in a nearly two decades long losing season streak.

Honestly Arrieta could have stalled out in AAA for us, but it would still be that move. It hurts that much to see him pitching at a Cy Young level for another team.

I've long since stopped caring at all. Arrieta was clearly not going to succeed here. If they'd kept him he would have gone back to Norfolk, pitched to a 4.75 there, maybe made the team because he was out of options in '14, then kept someone else who pitched better from getting innings then. And he'd still be somewhere else.

I don't believe Arrieta was going to succeed. Look at how well our pitchers have done from then till now. I think I would have just walked away from Davis after we put a deal out there with a time line and he rejected it. It didn't show "guts". I probably would have rolled with Trumbo and signed someone like Cespedes with the money, but I gotta say, Uvalde I up there too, but without him, we don't get Cruz and the 2014 playoffs, so...

I've long since stopped caring at all. Arrieta was clearly not going to succeed here. If they'd kept him he would have gone back to Norfolk, pitched to a 4.75 there, maybe made the team because he was out of options in '14, then kept someone else who pitched better from getting innings then. And he'd still be somewhere else.

Since trading away Frank Robinson in December of 1965, Reds fans have witnessed National League Championships in 1970 and 1972, World Championships in 1975, 1976, and 1990, and division championships in 1973, 1979, 1995, 2010, and 2012.

If they can get over Frank Robinson, Oriole fans can get over Jake Arrieta.

Archived