If This Team Collapse For The Second Straight Year, Doesn't Buck Have To Take A Hit?

ORIOLE33

I know you're not supposed to criticize Buck, but if this team fail to reach the playoffs after leading the division for most of the year, how does Buck avoid some blame? I know it's not all Buck, but 2 potential collapses in back to back years, obviously he's not pushing the right buttons when it matters most.

I know he's seen as the savior, but eventually just being a good team isn't going to cut it.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Buck's bullpen management, while good, is not quite as masterful as a lot of pundits say. But that's basically my only major complaint. There's no such thing as a perfect manager but I don't see how anybody else could have done a much better job with these rosters. And I still feel pretty good about our playoff chances this year.

Buck is solid. Duquette is the one on shaky ground.

DD should be let go after the season if we don't make the playoffs. But I don't think Buck should come out of it totally clean. He would be the manager/head coach of a team that have collapsed 2 years in a row of they don't make the playoffs.

Buck is God. What he has done here with a lousy GM has been nothing short of miraculous. I would hand him a two year extension today if I was Angelos.

Yea, running off the pitching coach to bring in his own guy worked out great.

As did his obsession with TTTP.

His ability to correctly ascertain Kim's abilities in spring training was a huge boon to the team.

Club has a starting pitching ERA of 5. Team went 19-9 in a month where they allowed 5 runs a game with a starters ERA of 5.56. Club has 4 pitchers with double digit starts and an ERA over 5. On paper we have no business contending.

Exactly. This gives us the answer: DD is to blame. His deadline answer to fix the major problem was Miley, whom he only got cheap because we are on the hook for next year's salary.

Yea, running off the pitching coach to bring in his own guy worked out great.

As did his obsession with TTTP.

His ability to correctly ascertain Kim's abilities in spring training was a huge boon to the team.

You're right - we should fire him. Good grief.

In what way did the Orioles collapse last year? They were never more than 7 games above .500 at any point during the season.

I do not think Buck is above criticism at all. Criticize him all you want. I think he has some flaws, but at the same time, I don't think he is the reason the team is currently struggling.

I know you're not supposed to criticize Buck, but if this team fail to reach the playoffs after leading the division for most of the year, how does Buck avoid some blame? I know it's not all Buck, but 2 potential collapses in back to back years, obviously he's not pushing the right buttons when it matters most.

I know he's seen as the savior, but eventually just being a good team isn't going to cut it.

What isn't he doing that you think he should be doing?

When you're given a poor starting rotation and the only hope you have is that the ones that are good (Tillman, Bundy, Gausman) all stay healthy....it's hard to fault Buck at all.

Going into this season the starting pitching was a huge concern.

How can you fault a guy that is given Ubaldo, a hurt Gallardo, Wade Miley and a guy that hasn't pitched in years in Dylan Bundy? And no impact depth?

Archived