Trade Sherrill at the deadline?

Sports Guy

Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?

• Yes...Take the package because we are better off long term
    • No, wait until the offseason and maybe he will be worth more
    • Don't trade him at all..He is cheap and under cotnrol for years

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said trade.

I don't care how long he's under team control, it still doesn't change the fact that he's 31. A closer is an important part of a bullpen, but completely meaningless when a team is trying to rebuild. If you can flip him for a couple young players who fill multiple positions of need, there's no reason to hold onto him.

It would just make the Bedard trade that much better.

If Sherrill can be traded as an above average closer it should probably be done, because in reality, I believe he is much more suited to being a very good situational lefty. If a team will give us a closer type of return, then you do it. A few years down the road I can see him still being effective in a Walker type of way, not as a shut down closer.

It's my understanding that Walker will be traded and Sherrill will remain at closer or move to the set up role in 2009.
If Walker is dealt and Sherrill remains as closer (a scenario I'm comfortable with), that leaves the team with no LH setup guy. I think many posters would be fine with that -- but how would DT and AM feel about that kind of structure?

Yep but I don't care.

40 innings of good work against lefties doesn't outweigh young positional talent.

That might crash and burn in the majors. You've got to get a sure thing coming back to deal Sherrill IMO. He isn't a Miguel Tejada. We can't just take a "fair" deal for him.

Billy Beane minimizes the closer role as a perceived need that has value above and beyond their actual worth. For this reason, I voted yes.

In reality, we took a left-handed set-up man from Seattle and branded him as a closer increasing his value. Some would argue higher than he is actually worth. Sell high.

But the caveat emptor is this philosophy damages the perception of the team in players' eyes so much so that players may be unwilling to commit to a team that seems unwilling to commit to them. If an organization wants to establish stability, they have to commit to a core group of players and not treat them as commodities selling to the highest bidder.

Sherrill seems like a player that could solidify himself as a core player at a relatively low cost. Before we move Sherrill there are some other players that could be moved first.

Billy Beane minimizes the closer role as a perceived need that has value above and beyond their actual worth. For this reason, I voted yes.

In reality, we took a left-handed set-up man from Seattle and branded him as a closer increasing his value. Some would argue higher than he is actually worth. Sell high.

But the caveat emptor is this philosophy damages the perception of the team in players' eyes so much so that players may be unwilling to commit to a team that seems unwilling to commit to them. If an organization wants to establish stability, they have to commit to a core group of players and not treat them as commodities selling to the highest bidder.

Sherrill seems like a player that could solidify himself as a core player at a relatively low cost. Before we move Sherrill there are some other players that could be moved first.

How many World Championships has Billy Beane won????

They made the playoffs five-of-seven years; only the Yankees have come close since 2000. Yeah, seems to be a good enough method to me.

Agreed. I'd rather have Beane than Cashman in my front office, regardless of the championships.

Agreed. I'd rather have Beane than Cashman in my front office, regardless of the championships.

Anyone think Cashman doesn't regret flipping Hughes or Kennedy in a package for Santana? It's fun going to work every day and reminding NYY fans of such.

Archived