Trade Sherrill at the deadline?

Sports Guy

Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?

• Yes...Take the package because we are better off long term
    • No, wait until the offseason and maybe he will be worth more
    • Don't trade him at all..He is cheap and under cotnrol for years

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/raych01.shtml

Lights-out as a set-up guy in 2005. Lights-out as a closer in 2006. Had 5-6 bad games in 2007...out of 43.

Yeah, burn her.

I think he had more bad games than that in 2007 but even that is too many. He reminded me too much of Jorge Julio. Too many times he couldn't find the strike zone and when he did it was down the middle and out of the park at the worst possible time.

I think when he returns it will be as a set up man, and I am not even sure how effective he will be in that role unless he improves his control.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/raych01.shtml

Lights-out as a set-up guy in 2005. Lights-out as a closer in 2006. Had 5-6 bad games in 2007...out of 43.

Yeah, burn her.

You might want to take note that Ray's K/BB ratio as well as his K/9 ratio plummeted in the second half of 2006. And 4 of the 5 saves he blew were after the break and the Yankees owned him as they did in 2007.

Ray was a lights out setup man, but merely an OK closer.

You might want to take note that Ray's K/BB ratio as well as his K/9 ratio plummeted in the second half of 2006. And 4 of the 5 saves he blew were after the break and the Yankees owned him as they did in 2007.

Ray was a lights out setup man, but merely an OK closer.

Maybe he will believe you as obviously he doesn't agree with my take on Ray?:eektf::clap3:

Ray worried me quite a bit last year. Hopefully, his poor performance was directly tied to his injury.

He publicly stated it wasn't. He said he just pitched like crap. While I like his candor, that in itself is not very comforting. At least if it was due to the injury it would appear less worrisome than just plain ole crappy performance.

He publicly stated it wasn't. He said he just pitched like crap. While I like his candor, that in itself is not very comforting. At least if it was due to the injury it would appear less worrisome than just plain ole crappy performance.

Chris Ray was awful from pitching from the stretch last season. He was our worst pitcher with runners on base. Whether that was due to injury or not, I'm not sure...

Sherrill doesn't impress me much as a closer. Too many runners on and it seems he's gotten into the habit of letting a run or 2 score when he has a 3 run lead before closing the game. Let him rack up saves and hopefully some team will send us a top prospect or 2 for him because he's not going to last I have a feeling in this role.

The same as the Orioles and "there go for it think we are contending and sign crappy FAs approach".

So if Billy Beane has never guided a team to even an AL championship why on earth would we want to follow what he's doing?

So if Billy Beane has never guided a team to even an AL championship why on earth would we want to follow what he's doing?

Are you being serious? The A's have made it to the postseason in five of the last eight years, more than any other AL team but the Yankees. Who on earth would complain about that, especially a fan of a team that's been under .500 for the last 10 seasons?

Because he is way smarter than anyone we have running things and does more with a limited budget than anyone.

Who cares if he hasn't won? The playoffs are a lot of luck...He had injuries to the big 3 starters, the Jeter play, etc....

That happens.

Chris Ray was awful from pitching from the stretch last season. He was our worst pitcher with runners on base. Whether that was due to injury or not, I'm not sure...

Ray had a great K rate last year...His command rate was excellent...His BB rate was a little high but still not that bad.

He gave a few too many homers but his GB/FB ratio was by the far the best it ever has been and that is something he needed to improve on.

Opponents had a sub 700 OPS against him...They hit just over 200 and their OBP was .307...Lefties used to beat him up pretty good but even they had a sub 700 OPS versus them. That is something else he has improved on.

Perlozzo screwed up Ray a number of times last year...Leaving him in too long, having him warm up too long, etc...And because he did those things, it caused Ray to get roughed up in a few outings.

The MDM game was ridiculous...IIRC, Ray had barely warmed up and Perlozzo paniced and brought him early..I think Ray even said he wasn't ready yet.

I remember the Nats game when it eas obvious he was tired and Perlozzo kept him in the game.

To wrap things up...Ray's peripherals and improvement in certain areas were great last year....He just had a few bad outings that could be put at the feet of Perlozzo more than Ray himself.

Archived