Trade Sherrill at the deadline?

Sports Guy

Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?

• Yes...Take the package because we are better off long term
    • No, wait until the offseason and maybe he will be worth more
    • Don't trade him at all..He is cheap and under cotnrol for years

Ray had a great K rate last year...His command rate was excellent...His BB rate was a little high but still not that bad.

He gave a few too many homers but his GB/FB ratio was by the far the best it ever has been and that is something he needed to improve on.

Opponents had a sub 700 OPS against him...They hit just over 200 and their OBP was .307...Lefties used to beat him up pretty good but even they had a sub 700 OPS versus them. That is something else he has improved on.

Perlozzo screwed up Ray a number of times last year...Leaving him in too long, having him warm up too long, etc...And because he did those things, it caused Ray to get roughed up in a few outings.

The MDM game was ridiculous...IIRC, Ray had barely warmed up and Perlozzo paniced and brought him early..I think Ray even said he wasn't ready yet.

I remember the Nats game when it eas obvious he was tired and Perlozzo kept him in the game.

To wrap things up...Ray's peripherals and improvement in certain areas were great last year....He just had a few bad outings that could be put at the feet of Perlozzo more than Ray himself.

You have to have Ray confused with somebody else. :confused::scratchchinhmm:What I saw was a guy who usually was okay with the first two hitters he faced and then struggled like crazy to get the final out, or if he put any runners on, was in deep trouble. Next to John Parrish, Todd Williams, and Baez he was the least impressive Orioles pitcher last season. Since all three of the previous bums don't even belong on a ML roster that doesn't speak well for Ray!:(

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to have Ray confused with somebody else. :confused::scratchchinhmm:What I saw was a guy who usually was okay with the first two hitters he faced and then struggled like crazy to get the final out, or if he put any runners on, was in deep trouble. Next to John Parrish, Todd Williams, and Baez he was the least impressive Orioles pitcher last season. Since all three of the previous bums don't even belong on a ML roster that doesn't speak well for Ray!:(

He was in trouble when runners were on last year but he was excellent with runners on in 2005 and 2006 and since all of his peripherals were very good last year and he has been very good in the past, i am going to chalk that up to some bad luck...Who knows, had he pitched the full year, maybe that would have ended up evening out at the end.

And the Ray you saw last year was, obviously, the wrong Ray but hey, you usually see the wrong player when you watch the game.

Yes, he did have some struggles that were all him but guess what, every single player in the history of the sport has a few games and innings every year.

Ray had 5 bad games last year and IIRC, Perlozzo had a lot of blame in at least 3 of them.

He was in trouble when runners were on last year but he was excellent with runners on in 2005 and 2006 and since all of his peripherals were very good last year and he has been very good in the past, i am going to chalk that up to some bad luck...Who knows, had he pitched the full year, maybe that would have ended up evening out at the end.

And the Ray you saw last year was, obviously, the wrong Ray but hey, you usually see the wrong player when you watch the game.

Yes, he did have some struggles that were all him but guess what, every single player in the history of the sport has a few games and innings every year.

Ray had 5 bad games last year and IIRC, Perlozzo had a lot of blame in at least 3 of them.

Unlike you, I view Ray as "regressing" instead of improving with age, maturity and experience. Hence, I view him as another potential Jorge Julio, and some of the monster shot home runs he allowed vividly brought back nightmares of ole Jorge. I certainly have not missed Ray one bit. If he does return, it better be as a setup man. Sherrill is starting to become worrisome enough to watch in closing games. My heart couldn't take Ray again.

As a side thought to this conversation, I think maybe Jim Johnson could potentially make a heck of a closer. He seems to handle pressure really well and has the stuff.

Unlike you, I view Ray as "regressing" instead of improving with age, maturity and experience. Hence, I view him as another potential Jorge Julio, and some of the monster shot home runs he allowed vividly brought back nightmares of ole Jorge. I certainly have not missed Ray one bit. If he does return, it better be as a setup man. Sherrill is starting to become worrisome enough to watch in closing games. My heart couldn't take Ray again.

As a side thought to this conversation, I think maybe Jim Johnson could potentially make a heck of a closer. He seems to handle pressure really well and has the stuff.

Ray is much better than Julio....You are totally overrating a few bad games by Ray and are totally ignoring the stats that tell you what really is going on but hey, that's what you do.

Ray is much better than Julio....You are totally overrating a few bad games by Ray and are totally ignoring the stats that tell you what really is going on but hey, that's what you do.

Hey, Julio looked like he had the potential to be really good early on, just like Ray. However, like Ray, Julio regressed, instead of improving. If the regression was due to injury, that would be one thing, but Ray himself publicly stated via an article in the Sun that his injury had no bearing on his crappy pitching last year. Even Ray said he just wasn't very good.

Sometimes, you make no sense to me. You seem to be defending stauchly Chris Ray, a guy who looks very shaky to most of us, while deriding LH a guy who has performed probably above what was predicted for him so far. I really don't understand your view on talent?:confused:

I do think we agree on Adam Jones though. I wonder why we see eye to eye on him but nobody else?:scratchchinhmm::confused:

Hey, Julio looked like he had the potential to be really good early on, just like Ray. However, like Ray, Julio regressed, instead of improving. If the regression was due to injury, that would be one thing, but Ray himself publicly stated via an article in the Sun that his injury had no bearing on his crappy pitching last year. Even Ray said he just wasn't very good.

Sometimes, you make no sense to me. You seem to be defending stauchly Chris Ray, a guy who looks very shaky to most of us, while deriding LH a guy who has performed probably above what was predicted for him so far. I really don't understand your view on talent?:confused:

I do think we agree on Adam Jones though. I wonder why we see eye to eye on him but nobody else?:scratchchinhmm::confused:

Ray didn't regressed...The stats bare that out to be true...You are just completely wrong.

And LH has performed over expectations? LOL...That is hilarious...He has been worse defensively than many thought, his hitting has been as bad as we all thought and he has been a bad baserunner...He has been even less valuable than I thought he would be and he had no value to begin with.

The fact we don't see eye to eye on most things makes me very happy.

Ray didn't regressed...The stats bare that out to be true...You are just completely wrong.

And LH has performed over expectations? LOL...That is hilarious...He has been worse defensively than many thought, his hitting has been as bad as we all thought and he has been a bad baserunner...He has been even less valuable than I thought he would be and he had no value to begin with.

The fact we don't see eye to eye on most things makes me very happy.

Uh, yes Ray has regressed. Even he admitted it publicly by stating his injury had nothing to do with his poor pitching. Apparently, you are the only one in denial of this. So continue to think it but you are not only wrong, you are dead wrong to the point of being delusional when the player himself even states he performed bad. How much more indication of it do you need? :confused::eektf::scratchchinhmm:

As far as not seeing eye to eye making you very happy, I am glad to oblige!

Uh, yes Ray has regressed. Even he admitted it publicly by stating his injury had nothing to do with his poor pitching. Apparently, you are the only one in denial of this. So continue to think it but you are not only wrong, you are dead wrong to the point of being delusional when the player himself even states he performed bad. How much more indication of it do you need? :confused::eektf::scratchchinhmm:

As far as not seeing eye to eye making you very happy, I am glad to oblige!

Maybe not my place to get in the middle of this argument, but just b/c Ray said that the injury didn't affect his pitching does not mean that it actually didn't affect his pitching. I appreciate and respect Ray a lot for taking all the criticism on himself and not making excuses for a couple of poor outings, but I personally believe that the injury had a lot to do for his weaker performance last year.

Maybe not my place to get in the middle of this argument, but just b/c Ray said that the injury didn't affect his pitching does not mean that it actually didn't affect his pitching. I appreciate and respect Ray a lot for taking all the criticism on himself and not making excuses for a couple of poor outings, but I personally believe that the injury had a lot to do for his weaker performance last year.

I don't....Most of his peripherals were up...I just think he has some bad outings that were greatly aided by his manager.

He pitched well in July before he went on the DL.

BTW, OldFan, Ray isn't going to blame Perlozzo publicly and most players try not to use the injury excuse if they can avoid it.

Let me get this straight. You would trade DCab and Others for Colby Rasmus? LOL.

Rasmus is one of the top prospects in the game. Just below Bruce and Longoria, IMO.

As good as DCab has looked the last six games, there's NO WAY the Cards would trade Rasmus straight up for DCab. Hell, we couldn't even get Bruce for Bedard.

Rasmus is one of the top prospects in the game. Just below Bruce and Longoria, IMO.

As good as DCab has looked the last six games, there's NO WAY the Cards would trade Rasmus straight up for DCab. Hell, we couldn't even get Bruce for Bedard.

Rasmus hasnt been looking so good at Memphis. He might not make the majors until September since the Cardinals outfield is doing so well.

We dont know if we could have gotten Bruce for Bedard, as that would have been a bad trade since we wouldnt be very good to just get one player. I would take the five players we got over Bruce every day of the week.

Lex, I live just North of Springfield, Mo. I watched Colby Rasmus all last summer at the Cards AA affiliate in Springfield. I watched him day in and day out. He is a nice athlete, a really good prospect. But, he has a hell of a time with good breaking pitches. And he has some gaping holes in his swing. I really wish Rasmus all the luck, he has the tools and he is a really nice kid. But if AM traded DCab straight up for him it would be a HUGE risk. And I really don't think AM would make that trade. And I am all but certain that the Cardinals would do that in a minute.

We dont know if we could have gotten Bruce for Bedard, as that would have been a bad trade since we wouldnt be very good to just get one player. I would take the five players we got over Bruce every day of the week.

I think the rumor is that the Reds inquired about Bedard at the Winter Meetings, and MacPhail said it would take Bruce and a couple of others to get him. Suffice to say, that ended talks with the Reds.

As much as I like Bruce, I'd also take the five player package everday of the week and twice on Sunday. :)

Lex, I live just North of Springfield, Mo. I watched Colby Rasmus all last summer at the Cards AA affiliate in Springfield. I watched him day in and day out. He is a nice athlete, a really good prospect. But, he has a hell of a time with good breaking pitches. And he has some gaping holes in his swing. I really wish Rasmus all the luck, he has the tools and he is a really nice kid. But if AM traded DCab straight up for him it would be a HUGE risk. And I really don't think AM would make that trade. And I am all but certain that the Cardinals would do that in a minute.

Well, I can't argue with firsthand experience. :D

Even though we have Jones, I'd still like to get a player like Rasmus. We'd probably have the best young outfield (with the highest upside) in the majors.

And hell, if the outfield got too crowded, we could always move Jones back to SS. *ducks* :laughlol:

Archived