What is the minimum outcome of the 2016 Orioles season would you be satisfied with?

FanSince88

What's the minimum you'd be satisfied with?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What's the minimum you'd be satisfied with?

• Winning or .500 season
    • Wild card game loss
    • WC game win and ALDS loss
    • Division Win and ALDS loss
    • ALCS appearance and loss
    • WS appearance

Oriole 33. You got it. How could any fan be satisfied with less than a WS title? I can't imagine seeing the Os lose in the playoffs and saying to myself "Yeah, I'm happy with that". Nope.

You would hate being a Cubs fan.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You would hate being a Cubs fan.

Or a Pirate fan or a Blue Jay fan. Or Rays fan. Or a Tiger fan. Or an Indians fan. Or a Padres fan, or a Seattle fan or Colorado fan. Or a Nationals fan or a Braves fan. Or a Rangers fan or a Twins fan or a Brewers fan or a Reds fan. Or an Astros or As fan or even a Dodgers fan. In fact, the only satisfactory teams to root for are The Yankees or Red Sox Or Cardinals or Royals or Giants or White Sox or Marlins. Probably not even the Mets. Phillies are ok.

I would be satisfied with any play after the end of the regular season. Even if they lose the wild card game, that'd be enough for me because that game is essentially a coin flip anyway.

This. The goal each season is to play in the playoffs. What happens there is mostly out of everyone's control.

Oriole 33. You got it. How could any fan be satisfied with less than a WS title? I can't imagine seeing the Os lose in the playoffs and saying to myself "Yeah, I'm happy with that". Nope.

Happy? Well, it's mixed. They'll have had a fine season with good moments. They didn't win it all, but we all know that navigating multiple short series and/or play-in games is as much (or really more) luck than skill. I guess you can pretend that getting through it all was character and ability and masterful moves by the GM and manager. But it would be just that - pretend.

Me too. I got to watch meaningful baseball in August.

I'm even less discriminating. I'll admit enjoying meaningful innings in games we've ultimately lost. It must be nice to greet the world with the attitude that finding meaning in anything less than the very best is misguided.

I'm even less discriminating. I'll admit enjoying meaningful innings in games we've ultimately lost. It must be nice to greet the world with the attitude that finding meaning in anything less than the very best is misguided.

There are a lot of bitter, angry, dissatisfied people in the world. Also, a lot of "fans" of whomever just won a trophy. And the Yankees.

One of the things that separates Yankee fans from Oriole fans is the ability to deeply, truly appreciate 1989 and 2012.

There are a lot of bitter, angry, dissatisfied people in the world. Also, a lot of "fans" of whomever just won a trophy. And the Yankees.

One of the things that separates Yankee fans from Oriole fans is the ability to deeply, truly appreciate 1989 and 2012.

There are even some Oriole fans that truly and deeply appreciate 2009.

Patrick%20Orioles%20Boston_zpsvhylbw3k.jpg?t=1446075324

Looks like people are answering different questions here than perhaps the OP intended.

• What should fans expect from the Orioles, as a baseline minimum, for them to indicate to us that they've still "got it": A winning season (over .500). Or depending on your perspective, exactly .500, or perhaps even a few games under .500, would be a marginally-passing "C-" too.
  • What would make me "content" and able to feel pretty good about the season: Some kind of postseason appearance, even a WC game loss.
  • What would make me "genuinely happy" about the Orioles' season and performance: An appearance in the ALDS.
  • What would make me so excited that I'd kneejerk buy season tickets for next year: An appearance in the World Series (win or lose), or losing the ALCS in more than 4 games.
  • What I think the Orioles' players' and front office's GOAL should be: Win the AL East division title, then win the World Series. (Obviously.)

World Series or bust.

Honestly? I'd like them to win the division. I think the W.C. is a letdown. The O's essentially had the division in their grasp, but they completely stumbled against the Athletics, Red Sox and Astros.

Prior to the season I'd have been ecstatic with a W.C. But now? I feel it's second rate.

Considering the starting pitching, though. I guess I shouldn't be too miffed if they even make the playoffs.

• 1 month later...
It's kind of irrational, but for me winning the WC game is important. I would not find making the wild card game and then losing it to be much more satisfying than simply missing the playoffs on the final weekend. But losing a five-game series to a division winner wouldn't bother me as much.

I did not go into 2016 expecting this team to go to the World Series, so I won't deem the season a failure if they fall short of the ultimate goal.

Well, at the moment I'm feeling pretty damned good about getting this far, but I still really want to beat Toronto and get to a real playoff series.

Archived