What is the minimum outcome of the 2016 Orioles season would you be satisfied with?

FanSince88

What's the minimum you'd be satisfied with?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What's the minimum you'd be satisfied with?

• Winning or .500 season
    • Wild card game loss
    • WC game win and ALDS loss
    • Division Win and ALDS loss
    • ALCS appearance and loss
    • WS appearance

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Misery rating: 5.5

The Orioles had only two losing seasons and reached the World Series six times in their first 26 years in Baltimore. But few fans under the age of 40 can recall that. The Orioles haven't been to the World Series in 33 years. They also went through the horrible Derek Jeter/Jeffrey Maier non-home run in the 1996 playoffs (and Cubs fans whine about Bartman). And while they got to enjoy watching Cal Ripken Jr. play every day for 16 years, few under the age of 25 can remember that."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17595017/misery-meter-how-much-fans-mlb-playoff-team-suffered

"Misery rating: 5.5

The Orioles had only two losing seasons and reached the World Series six times in their first 26 years in Baltimore. But few fans under the age of 40 can recall that. The Orioles haven't been to the World Series in 33 years. They also went through the horrible Derek Jeter/Jeffrey Maier non-home run in the 1996 playoffs (and Cubs fans whine about Bartman). And while they got to enjoy watching Cal Ripken Jr. play every day for 16 years, few under the age of 25 can remember that."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17595017/misery-meter-how-much-fans-mlb-playoff-team-suffered

o

He is mistaken about the Orioles having only 2 losing seasons in their first 26 seasons in Baltimore.

In that period (1954-1979), they had 7 losing seasons:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/

It's kind of irrational, but for me winning the WC game is important. I would not find making the wild card game and then losing it to be much more satisfying than simply missing the playoffs on the final weekend. But losing a five-game series to a division winner wouldn't bother me as much.

I did not go into 2016 expecting this team to go to the World Series, so I won't deem the season a failure if they fall short of the ultimate goal.

Well, at the moment I'm feeling pretty damned good about getting this far, but I still really want to beat Toronto and get to a real playoff series.

Yeah, not satisfied. Proud of what the team accomplished, but not satisfied. Tough way to end the season.

Yeah, not satisfied. Proud of what the team accomplished, but not satisfied. Tough way to end the season.

Glad to play in postseason, but just feel that we gave it away. Too many live and die by homer guys and nobody that can generate a run when you need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to say one other thing and this is a good place to say it. I'm not satisfied, but I enjoyed the season. It was exciting right to the final game, the team showed a lot of heart, came up big many times and outperformed most people's expectations, including mine. The people who always dwell on the negatives lead a sad, sad life in my opinion. Things don't always turn out the way you want, but there are 20 teams whose fans would have gladly traded places with us. I'm proud to be a fan of this team.

I'm going to say one other thing and this is a good place to say it. I'm not satisfied, but I enjoyed the season. It was exciting right to the final game, the team showed a lot of heart, came up big many times and outperformed most people's expectations, including mine. The people who always dwell on the negatives lead a sad, sad life in my opinion. Things don't always turn out the way you want, but there are 20 teams whose fans would have gladly traded places with us. I'm proud to be a fan of this team.

I'll second that. I'm happy the team overachieved. I'm happy with the seasons most of the players had. Buck kept the clubhouse in a good place all year. They contended all year, and were in it right up to the 11th inning of a hostile playoff game on the road. There's always next year.

Yeah, I agree. It's really a tough pill to swallow right now because it hasn't even been 12 hours yet but in a day or two it'll be easier to look back and be thankful we had a chance at least. We just came up short this year. We all love this team and that's why we spend these countless hours watching and discussing them.

I'll just miss watching them play on a nightly basis, it always becomes routine and then it comes to an end at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived