Ban Maple Bats NOW!

KLINE

I'm not usually a big fan of what's written on yahoo sports but I agree with this guy, especially the first line written "Someone's going to die at a baseball stadium soon". Yes it may be a bit overexaggerated but I wonder how many people thought that when they lobbied to get mesh nets around a hockey rink prior to a 13 year old getting killed by a flying puck? Also why does it have to take someone dying for MLB and more importantly the Players Union to step in and do something about these maple bats? It took the Rockies minor league first base coach getting killed for them to put helmets on the base coaches, so why are we waiting, again, for something tragic to happen to do something? I don't care what these players say or how superstitious they are about their bats there needs to be a ban on these maple bats...ok I'm off my soapbox now...

thanks for reading

DK

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-maplebats050808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Jason Martinez is the founder and director of content - I believe it is largely him. https://www.linkedin.com/in/jason-martinez-b6b1372a/ Playing time guesses still have some human art form in them.     It was years ago, but I've heard podcasters mention Club contacts have told them he does such a good job they reference it. His or his staff's speed is impressive - many is the time I learn of something here within minutes of something breaking, and it can be hard to catch the Before a Transaction snapshot if you go there even an hour or two later.
    • Just add Mayo and Cowser to your list and the roster makes sense.
    • Let's look at the roster requirements.  The active MLB roster allows 26 players. Now do we have 4 outfielders or 5? I would assume we keep at least 13 pitchers with 8 of those in the bullpen. So that would leave 13 position players at best. 2 Catchers, 2 1Bmen, + Gunnar/Mateo/Urias/Westburg as IF utility. So that's 8 infielders all practically guaranteed to make the team from seniority on 2 winning Orioles teams, plus the 3 starting outfielders in Hays/Mullins/Santander. What we have are likely 2 outfield positions, with one of those possibly being another infield uitlity player, but maybe not probable. If they have 2 bench outfielders then at least one of those is probably preferred to be a left handed batter and the other probably to be a right handed batter. They might also want someone who has the skills to play centerfield, unless the scenario that either Mateo or Hays is thought to be the primary backup center-fielder. Which could be a very good idea in order to allow a corner outfielder on the roster.
    • How so? They knew Bradish had a season-threatening injury a month before the trade with Milwaukee, and that Burnes was therefore just filling a hole rather than serving as a true addition to the rotation. ...who merely replaced the incumbent ace of the staff, who may not pitch at all for us in 2024. No real upgrade has actually occurred.  
    • I have to say, if we’re still at a point where signing some SP5 has to be contingent in any way on dumping $3.5M of Ryan O’Hearn — that would be so very disheartening.  I get why folks want to see Kjerstad over O’Hearn. We all want to see Kjerstad. We all want to see the very exciting all-homegrown-prospect lineups we’ve been pontificating about ad nauseum for years now.  But we’re trying to win it all this season, and O’Hearn had a higher wRC+ in the bigs last year than Kjerstad did in AAA. Just dumping a guy who was a critical part of the lineup last year on blind faith seems a bit rash. And unnecessary.  Maybe O’Hearn regresses to his pre-2023 form. Maybe Kjerstad absolutely rakes. The nice thing is, we have the luxury of letting it all play out. It’s a very long season. If O’Hearn hits his way off the team — or Kjerstad hits his way onto it — then great. That’s a miscalculation we can easily (and happily) correct. But if you ship O’Hearn out and then Kjerstad can’t hack it (or gets hurt, that’s much tougher to un-do. 
    • I love the sound of that crack of the bat. It means spring is almost here!
  • Popular Contributors