Tommy Hunter Released by Indians- SIGNS with Orioles to be Eligible for Postseason.

Rene88

His worst year FIP wise (excluding his debut season which is useless due to SSS) was when he started with us in 2012. 5.75. That was in over 130 innings.

Since then:

'13: 3.69

'14: 3.15

'15: 3.38 (then yes he was bad in Chicago in 15 innings)

'16 with Indians: 3.15

Hunter was primarily a starter in 2012 and earlier, surely you agree that the ballgame changes when you go from SP to RP and that not all those earlier stats are as relevant?

Usually I find it very hard to argue with you Drungo because your arguments are so well versed in data and logic but I have to admit I'm pretty mystified by your inability to see how much he is an upgrade over our current options.

I just don't see how Drake or Ondrusek are anything but marginally worse than Hunter. Hunter is a guy with a below average K rate, hangs a pitch that goes 400' every couple weeks. But if the O's want to claim him, sure, why not. Likely won't move the needle a win either way.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
T

What have those guys done to inspire confidence? Drake was awful up here earlier. I don't get the application of WAR to this argument. We aren't comparing a player like Trumbo to a better all around player.

Hunter throws strikes. Half the time these young guys give the other team free passes that gets them back in the game. Hunter will make you swing the bat. He has been in big spots before. Not like we are advocating him over Britton.

Yes, Hunter throws strikes. And has runs like he did with the Cubs last year where he gave up a homer every four innings.

Yes, Hunter throws strikes. And has runs like he did with the Cubs last year where he gave up a homer every four innings.

Up 7 runs in the 9th inning I don't care. Talking about a specific role. Too many times these arms are forcing Buck to get Britton in a game when he shouldn't have to.

Up 7 runs in the 9th inning I don't care. Talking about a specific role. Too many times these arms are forcing Buck to get Britton in a game when he shouldn't have to.

Up seven runs in the 9th you could use the 4th guy on the depth chart at Aberdeen and you'd win 95% of the time. I wouldn't define a role based on Parker Bridwell having a meltdown a few days ago.

Yeah Ondrusek caused Buck to use O'Day his last time up here in a game in Oakland because he couldn't throw a strike. O'Day got ready in a hurry and then ends up getting hurt. Yeah he might have got hurt another day but having to get ready in a hurry is a major issue for relievers. The other night Bridwell did the exact same thing and caused Britton to rush and he was not fully ready imo when he came in. Hunter just needs to eat some of those innings we are getting nothing from and causing other guys more use. Buck wanted to keep Wright from getting in last night but again he had to use him because Ondrusek couldn't get through the inning.

Yeah Ondrusek caused Buck to use O'Day his last time up here in a game in Oakland because he couldn't throw a strike. O'Day got ready in a hurry and then ends up getting hurt. Yeah he might have got hurt another day but having to get ready in a hurry is a major issue for relievers. The other night Bridwell did the exact same thing and caused Britton to rush and he was not fully ready imo when he came in. Hunter just needs to eat some of those innings we are getting nothing from and causing other guys more use. Buck wanted to keep Wright from getting in last night but again he had to use him because Ondrusek couldn't get through the inning.

Bridwell had 28 walks in 55 innings at AA. Is that going to get better up here? Ondrusek hasn't pitched well. Considering where we are in the season is another team going to put him on their 40 man roster? Possible but we took a chance on a guy from Japan.

Buck needs someone like you said he can trust to eat up some innings. Once rosters expand they can call up the Drake's of the world.

Up seven runs in the 9th you could use the 4th guy on the depth chart at Aberdeen and you'd win 95% of the time. I wouldn't define a role based on Parker Bridwell having a meltdown a few days ago.

Would you have to burn your closer in the process?

And we need someone better than what we currently have in that role now.

Do you really think the skills and abilities of Ondrusek and Bridwell are well represented by the dozen-odd innings they've recently thrown? I think the major difference between what's on the roster now and Hunter is that Hunter hasn't been here in a year so we've mostly forgotten about quotes like these from last July:

Hunter is what he is, an averagish RH relief pitcher who is a bit overpaid for his role ($4.65 mm, which is slightly more than Darren O'Day's $4.25 mm). Right now among our RHP's, I'd rather see O'Day, Roe or Brach when the game is on the line. However, I understand why Buck went to Hunter there.
Tommy Hunter either can't or won't throw a fastball at the knees. I've seen him do it, once or twice. Worst fastball command of any pitcher on our staff. Hitters make 97 look like 87
Hunter is a FB dominant pitcher. And with his fastball, it has no movement. At all. If his location is off target... Pray.
I never really want to see Hunter in a REAL pressure situation he didn't lose the closer role by accident... ;)

The only guy I want to see less is Matusz...

Do you really think the skills and abilities of Ondrusek and Bridwell are well represented by the dozen-odd innings they've recently thrown? I think the major difference between what's on the roster now and Hunter is that Hunter hasn't been here in a year so we've mostly forgotten about quotes like these from last July:

Where have I advocated pitching Hunter in high pressure spots? The last thing a manager wants is to use multiple relievers in a mop up role. Look at Bridwell and Ondrusek's career walk rate compared to Hunter. Logan has had brutal command, last night Scherzer would have walked he had not hacked at ball 4. I am not trying to make Hunter out to be a star but I think he is clearly better suited for this role than what the Orioles are currently running out there.

Hunter has let up one HR in all of 2016 so far.

His career rate is 1.4 / 9, that includes his time as a starter, going through an order multiple times etc.

If you just look at his years after moving to the bullpen (post 2012) it goes down to 0.9 per 9 innings.

League average is 1.2.

Would you like me to compare that to our current bullpen members?

Abandon your emotions Drungo.........look at the data, I implore you. :)

MLBTR had this to say, and make sense:

The timing of the Indians’ release of Tommy Hunter yesterday looked strange on paper, as the right-hander was working toward a return from a back injury and was deep into a rehab assignment. However, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports (links to Twitter) that the Indians looked at their potential September call-ups and decided that they had more options they wanted to evaluate than roster spots available. The veteran Hunter was the odd man out, they decided, so they elected to release him now in order to give the 30-year-old a chance to sign with a new club before Sept. 1 — thus allowing him to be postseason-eligible with a new organization. Hunter injured his back in a fall at his home over the All-Star break but had pitched well for the Indians prior to his injury, logging a 3.74 ERA with 7.1 K/9, 2.1 BB/9 and a 52.3 percent ground-ball rate in 21 2/3 innings.

Archived