Wow, Trumbo's RF really is pathetic

FanSince88

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, of course Jones is not nearly as bad. But when we set our OF for 2017, the option of moving Jones to RF and picking up a younger, faster CF should be considered. Jones isn't as fast as he used to be.

And his arm isn't as good either. While I agree he isn't as fast, he still covers ground effectively when he's moving laterally for a ball. At OPACY the dimensions are bigger in LCF than in RCF.

Jones only has two years left on his contract, and his arm at least plays in RF. His CF defense doesn't seem nearly as bad to me as Trumbo's in RF or Kim/Reimold in LF.

I get that Jones is better than the other two guys, but that is not saying much. Jones arm is not strong, I'm not sure what you are seeing. He still has enough speed to cover the more spacious LF than RF.

I have to say, Kim is also terrible. He's not as awkward as Trumbo, so his misplays are not as obvious, but he's painfully slow, gets poor jumps and plays so deep that many balls fall in front of him.

He's not that slow and as far as positioning, that is 100% on Wayne Kirby who positions everyone before every play. He's not really being positioned to succeed and is being asked to cover far more ground than he

is capable of covering especially now with Reimold in center. Positioning is all on Kirby, not Kim.

Chris Davis should have been the right fielder this season and Trumbo the first baseman.

Watching Davis there even for only two games, it is plainly clear that he is the better defender and likely capable of improving on what he can already do out there with consistent time at the position.

Put your athlete in RF and your plodder at first base. Makes sense to me.

He's not that slow and as far as positioning, that is 100% on Wayne Kirby who positions everyone before every play. He's not really being positioned to succeed and is being asked to cover far more ground than he

is capable of covering especially now with Reimold in center. Positioning is all on Kirby, not Kim.

He is positioned that way because he's not good going back on balls. Sorry, you are not going to convince me that his poor defensive metrics are undeserved.

He is positioned that way because he's not good going back on balls. Sorry, you are not going to convince me that his poor defensive metrics are undeserved.

Ok, you've been dodging the same facts about Jones all day. As far as I can see the Orioles are the only team that doesn't protect the lines late in games (INF or OF) and continue the strategy of the corners pinching the gaps in the OF. It makes no sense because they're pulled towards Jones (who covers more ground than either of them) and you're left with two slow guys who can't make up the distance on balls hit down the line. Trumbo is bad going back on balls but is just as bad on other plays as well. It's terrible defensive positioning. And it happens all the time.

Late in the game last night Manny was pulled off the line and a ball was hit by him down the line. Kim took so long getting to the ball at first I thought he was in another county. Then, I realized it's just the Orioles unique positioning. Dioner Navarro scored from 1B. Dioner Navarro!

Trumbo certainly has played enough games to be worthy of his bad numbers on defense, but the Orioles don't have to accentuate the negative either.

The probably pinch in in order to cut off gap doubles. Balls down the line are almost automatic doubles, and CoC FB will drop in for singles.

That's the rationale, but you accomplish the same thing by positioning them deeper. Toronto employs this, as do other teams. There's no way a guy as slow as Navarro should score from 1B on a ball for a double down the line.

And it doesn't explain why both of them are pulled towards Jones who has better speed. I could see one shifted depending on the hitter, but not both.

That's the rationale, but you accomplish the same thing by positioning them deeper. Toronto employs this, as do other teams. There's no way a guy as slow as Navarro should score from 1B on a ball for a double down the line.

And it doesn't explain why both of them are pulled towards Jones who has better speed. I could see one shifted depending on the hitter, but not both.

When you are running out three outfielders with below average range stuff is going to drop no matter where you put them.

Archived