Let's give it up for Donnie Hart

InsideCoroner

I know, SSS, but even in that SSS how good has this kid been? No runs in his first 10+ major league innings, looking effective each time out, and little said about him considering the many, many posts spent on Brian Matusz. He looks composed and has really kept hitters off-balance. Impressive.

What's the Oriole rookie record for scoreless innings to start a career, anyway? Didn't Wright have 12 or 13? I'm sure somebody had more than that.

He's been a pleasant surprise. Buck has done a good job of using him in facorable match ups. The Yankees have a lot of lefties so he's had some success against them. I don't think he has the stuff to keep being as dominant as he's been. But I do think he will be a solid LOOGY with a 3.50 era and two options. There is value there. He and Drake are two of our most underrated relievers that will have a good future with us over the next few years.

I know, SSS, but even in that SSS how good has this kid been? No runs in his first 10+ major league innings, looking effective each time out, and little said about him considering the many, many posts spent on Brian Matusz. He looks composed and has really kept hitters off-balance. Impressive.

What's the Oriole rookie record for scoreless innings to start a career, anyway? Didn't Wright have 12 or 13? I'm sure somebody had more than that.

Will Ohlman had a 25 Games Streak with 15 2/3 innings pitched from 4/06/10 to 5/25/10 that he did not give up a Run

Louis Ayala had a 13 game streak with 15 2/3 innings pitched from 4/7/12 to 5/6/12 that he did not give up a Run

These are to start a players career with Baltimore. Years are 2000 to present.

Hart is a rarity: All of the sidearmers and submariners I recall are right-handed. So he presents an unnerving delivery that batters aren't used to. Looks confident against right-handed hitters and not rattled by runners on base. His minor league stats seem to show that he doesn't give up homers (only 3 in 154 innings), doesn't walk a lot of hitters, and is slightly more than a LOOGY. My girlfriend saw his debut and his family on TV and likes him.

Hart is a rarity: All of the sidearmers and submariners I recall are right-handed. So he presents an unnerving delivery that batters aren't used to. Looks confident against right-handed hitters and not rattled by runners on base. His minor league stats seem to show that he doesn't give up homers (only 3 in 154 innings), doesn't walk a lot of hitters, and is slightly more than a LOOGY. My girlfriend saw his debut and his family on TV and likes him.

I have been happily impressed.

Will Ohlman had a 25 Games Streak with 15 2/3 innings pitched from 4/06/10 to 5/25/10 that he did not give up a Run

Louis Ayala had a 13 game streak with 15 2/3 innings pitched from 4/7/12 to 5/6/12 that he did not give up a Run

These are to start a players career with Baltimore. Years are 2000 to present.

A sobering reminder that looking great in a dozen innings does not a future make.

Donnie is more of a sidearm guy of which there have been more. But very few lefty true submariners. Mike Myers is about the only one I can recall off hand.

Archived