worst O's 1st round draft pick ever?

Actually he had 32 of them: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=smithma03. He played 8 years in the bigs mostly as a 4th or 5th outfielder. Nothing all that noteable, but certainly better then Rick Elder, Chris Smith, Alvie Sheppard and some of the duds we have drafted in the past.

Nonetheless, for a first round pick that is pretty dismal. The history of the Orioles draft picks is so horrendous overall it almost appears that there were some shennanigans involved as in there is nothing I would put past Steinbrenner, hint, some of the Orioles scouts secretly working for ole George and undermining the selection of good prospects.:eek: Think about it, it would really not be all that difficult to slip a scout some cash under the table to recommend some clunkers.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My Lord, how stupid was that? I would love to know who the actual idiot was who ultimately made that pick and why?:(:rolleyes::confused::cussing::rolleyestf:

if Tex would have been available when the orioles picked he would have been an oriole.

To be fair, all the other teams missed out on Erik Bedard, as he lasted until the 5th round.

I went to highschool with Josh Cenate. He blew his arm out twice in Rookie Ball. The Orioles still maintain his rights because they want him to come back as an outfielder, and he absolutely refuses. It's really sad.

When Wade Townsend didn't sign the O's were rewarded with the last pick 1st round pick in the following years draft. Now a days if a team fails to sign their top pick they will be rewarded a top pick in the next years draft, only one position later. So if you don't sign the 5th pick, the following year you'll get the 6th. Imagine how great it would be IF the MLB changed that rule earlier. The O's would have had the 9th pick in the 2005 draft and would have selected Jay Bruce. Instead the O's selected Garrett Olson, who is nice, but he is definately not Jay Bruce.

Archived