Extending pitchers pre-arbitration (ie what to do with KG and DB)

terpfan101

I know this may seem like overreaction to last night's gem by Gausman, but I've been wondering for a while what the O's FO should do about him and Bundy. Gausman is under team control for another four seasons after this one, crazy because he played in 2013 and 2014. (Why don't those years count towards his service time?) Bundy I believe has five seasons after this one under team control. Obviously it's too early to think about resigning Bundy, but with Gausman, he's improved significantly this year and I'd imagine he takes another step forward next season. After next season he'll have three arbitration eligible years remaining. Is there a precedence of other teams locking down young starters before they reach arbitration? Doesn't seem like the MO of the front office and maybe it doesn't make sense with pitchers to do that, just not sure if it's been done by others in the past.

I know this may seem like overreaction to last night's gem by Gausman, but I've been wondering for a while what the O's FO should do about him and Bundy. Gausman is under team control for another four seasons after this one, crazy because he played in 2013 and 2014. (Why don't those years count towards his service time?) Bundy I believe has five seasons after this one under team control. Obviously it's too early to think about resigning Bundy, but with Gausman, he's improved significantly this year and I'd imagine he takes another step forward next season. After next season he'll have three arbitration eligible years remaining. Is there a precedence of other teams locking down young starters before they reach arbitration? Doesn't seem like the MO of the front office and maybe it doesn't make sense with pitchers to do that, just not sure if it's been done by others in the past.

It's almost always a bad deal to do so.

2013-14 "counts" for service time but he was being optioned back and forth to the minors.

I think Tillman would be a better extension candidate right now, but I have a feeling based on the past the organization will let these guys go to the highest bidder and hope that Harvey and Sedlock will replace them.

If we did try to lock them up, I wonder if we could offer higher annual dollars in exchange for a free year in the event of a Tommy John surgery, like the Lackey deal.

Archived