Are the Rays the Real Deal?

Jagwar

Do you think the Orioles are a playoff contender? Or, do you think that based on past history other factors that we should wait on making a declaration like that? Like, when they are in the playoffs.

If the O's had the talent the Rays have on their team and in the MiL, I would think that the O's would be a playoff contender.

Of course, I'd be waiting for things to fall apart like in 2005, but I would think they had an outside chance. The talent is hard to ignore.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the O's had the talent the Rays have on their team and in the MiL, I would think that the O's would be a playoff contender.

Of course, I'd be waiting for things to fall apart like in 2005, but I would think they had an outside chance. The talent is hard to ignore.

Sure. But like I've said, we have heard this before.

I'm not saying they are NOT making the playoffs, I'm just not making any kind of "are they real" prediction until they show they are, just like you wouldn't on the Orioles (for good reason).

When was the last time that the team with the best record in all of baseball had the 1st pick in the draft? The difference between the 1st and 4th pick in this draft is going to be huge so the Rays will only further their talent pool gap between themselves and the O's.

When was the last time that the team with the best record in all of baseball had the 1st pick in the draft? The difference between the 1st and 4th pick in this draft is going to be huge so the Rays will only further their talent pool gap between themselves and the O's.

There are other picks besides the first round and if we go above slot for quality guys who slip again like Arrietta, then there is every reason to believe we will emerge from this draft with as much or more talent than Tampa Bay.

Separately, something emerging teams have going for them when they are competing is a pick-up in attendance that provides management some additional coin to make acquisitions at the deadline.

I'm not saying this year's TB team is for real, but the strong future ahead of that franchise for the next five to seven years is very real.

The longer TB hangs around the more dangerous they become because they have the quality prospects to shore up weak areas with all-star talent.

There are other picks besides the first round and if we go above slot for quality guys who slip again like Arrietta, then there is every reason to believe we will emerge from this draft with as much or more talent than Tampa Bay.

Plus their three previous number-one picks were Josh Hamilton, Delman Young, and David Price. Two aren't with the team anymore and the other has just started his professional career.

Plus their three previous number-one picks were Josh Hamilton, Delman Young, and David Price. Two aren't with the team anymore and the other has just started his professional career.

I dont understand this post. EDIT: Nevermind, you are talking about the number one OVERALL pick.

2007: Price

2006: Longoria

2005: Townsend

2004: Niemann

2003: Young

2002: Upton

2001: Brazelton

2000: Baldelli

1999: Hamilton

Hamilton is an All-Star with the Rangers.

Young is league average for the Twins.

Brazelton is barried somewhere in someone's minors.

Upton and Longoria are playing well above average for the Rays.

Baldelli is on the DL.

Townsend will be a bust.

Niemann and Price are two of the top pitching prospects in baseball.

I dont understand this post. EDIT: Nevermind, you are talking about the number one OVERALL pick.

2007: Price

2006: Longoria

2005: Townsend

2004: Niemann

2003: Young

2002: Upton

2001: Brazelton

2000: Baldelli

1999: Hamilton

Hamilton is an All-Star with the Rangers.

Young is league average for the Twins.

Brazelton is barried somewhere in someone's minors.

Upton and Longoria are playing well above average for the Rays.

Baldelli is on the DL.

Townsend will be a bust.

Niemann and Price are two of the top pitching prospects in baseball.

Well, my point was the first overall pick, so I'm glad you realized that. And I'm not denying that they haven't drafted well that high, just that the top pick hasn't been very good to them yet (though the jury is obviously still out on Price, so I don't mean to imply that he is or will be the same as the other two).

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2008_05_28_vbdafa_sluafa_1&t=g_box&did=milb

How about this for David Price's second career start...2 hits, no walks or runs, K'ed 9 and outdueled Pedro Martinez.

Not bad.

Very scary though.

Hi, I'm looking for David Price's box score...

*looks at it*

...and a clean pair of shorts.

Interesting they have moved Townsend to relief. He struck out all 6 batters accounting for the 2 innings he pitched.

That is where a lot of people thought he would end up when the O's drafted him...That was the reason I hated the pick the most.

Archived