Boras, Orioles set to discuss Wieters extension

nevadaO

I guarantee you the Orioles are prepared to shell out huge money to keep Machado. $350 million? Maybe. $300 million? I think so. Whether it will be enough, I don't know. But if they signed Davis when they had no intention of making a competitive offer to Machado, then they are far stupider than any previous transaction in Angelos's entire history as owner would suggest.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cincinnati Reds are in a comparable market with similar attendance figures to the Orioles and they were able to re-sign Joey Votto for $250 million and Brandon Phillips for $70 million and Homer Bailey for $100 million. Oh and they signed all those players without having their own regional sports network like the Orioles have.
i guess they have better fans.

The Orioles are butt hurt about attendance I get it it. We all are pissed off about it. I just went to two red sox games in Fenway during penant race for less then i paid for Manny's bobblehead game. Waiting till Davis signed to allow people to renew was a joke. They shot themselves in foot.

Yup. Totally screwed season ticket holders. And price hikes, too. Last minute and terrible handling of their most loyal fans.

I don't think Wieters has much to do with Manny. Any contract given to Wieters won't overlap with more than 1-2 of the FA years of any possible deal with Manny.

That said, I'm sure Boras isn't going to negotiate a deal of less than 3 years for Wieters without testing the FA market. Not do I expect any deals for under $10 mm/yr unless he can't get that on the FA market. I could see something like 3/$36 mm with a vesting option getting done before the free agent market, a la Hardy.

Chance Sisco is only 21.5 years old right now. He hasn't shown even the faintest inkling of power as a hitter. I like him a good deal as a prospect, but he's not exactly beating the door down. He also still has a lot of maturing to do defensively, by all accounts. Wieters is still a solid player and so long as we don't commit more than 3 years to him I don't think he's exactly blocking Sisco.

As I said in the game thread I think Matt is behind it.

Could be. He was the one that liked Balmer and pushed accepting the QO.

And I'd take Wieters for 2 years maybe 3. Even at 10. Til Chance or someone else in the org can step up. I've change my view on this. I used to be all NO extension! QO or let him walk. I don't want a 30 year old catcher who has been rode hard and put away wet.

But Matt's having a decent enough year. And he adds a backbone to our pitching staff and catcher corps. A synapse from Buck to him to the field.

Plus he switch hits. So he's got that going for him. Which is good.

At some point we have to work cheap cost controlled talent into the everyday lineup. A mid-market team can't have a roster with everyone making 10 mil plus on it. The numbers just don't add up.

Wieters is on the wrong side of 30 and our no. 1 prospect is a catcher and probably a year or less a way so signing Wieters long term makes little sense. Lots of starting catchers available on the market too. We can get a decent stopgap guy at 1/5 or 1/6.

Im on the fence about this. He's going to want at least 3 for $45m or more.Is he worth that? Im not sure, but the truth is, I am not comfortable with Joseph doing our lions share of catching.Our other prospect, Chance Sisco isnt ready for MLB pitching and may not be a good enough defender. I think we are in a corner.Not many decent options are available.

I don't think it'll be 15 per. Matt seems ready to veto Boras to stay here. mho

The FA market for catchers is really thin. Unless you're happy with Cisco, Joseph, and a couple heapings of prayer, Wieters even as high as 2/25 is probably going to be our most attractive option.

Even at 1.5 wins/season, the contract is at least neutral.

The biggest concern with Wieters is how much his defense has deteriorated. His pop time is noticeably slower than it was when he was younger. That was arguably his biggest asset.

Actually, the market is pretty decent. 5 decent starting catchers are available.

Archived