Gossage:Chamberlain's celebration excessive.

gallden

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3393773

Thoughts?

I don't like him one bit so I think its very excessive.

Agreed, I said something about this when Papelbon was doing it last season and was jumped all over. People were saying that there's nothing wrong with it but it comes across as a little unsportsmanlike like to me. Kinda like a rub in the face move. Kinda reminds me of my hatred for John Rocker.

Any pitcher can do it when they get the final out, but do they? DCab didn't do it when he slammed the door on the KC Royals and if ever there was time for a pitcher to celebrate openly, that was it. Don't think Trembley would go for that though.

This is a good quote by Delucci, "If a hitter did something like that, it would be bush. It's kind of interesting how a pitcher gets away with it"

Considering some of my all-time favorites are Joaquin Andujar, Oil Can Boyd, Pascual Perez & Mark Fidrych, there's no way I'm going to be a hypocrite and agree with Gossage.

The stuff about it not being fit for a Yankee is garbage too, as anyone who remembers Hall-of-Fame hot dog Reggie Jackson leaving the Orioles to admire his home runs in pinstripes can attest.

I think it's about context. Jabba the Hutt doing it after almost every out is excessive and if he were in the NL, he'd be getting thrown at, I'm sure. Now, last out of the inning in a tough jam, or the last out of the game in a big game...that's different.

I think it's mildly annoying but not worth anything like the amount of attention it's getting especially in NY. The whole "Yankees don't do that" nonsense is just beyond ridiculous. What I find odd though is that it's seen as such a big deal for a pitcher to celebrate a strikeout after the ball's no longer in play (and frequently the game or at least the inning is over), but people think nothing of the posing and bat flipping that goes on after batters hit home runs (or just think they did). Sure, you never see a batter pump their fists and scream exactly like Chamberlain, but their certainly are displays of arrogance and attention getting by batters as they make their way around the bases on homers (and sometimes even after they reach base on a key hit).

That's not exactly how Dellucci saw Chamberlain's celebration.

"It is what it is. If he wants to yell and scream after a strikeout, I guess that's what gets him going," he said. "It's May baseball. The home run was in a much bigger situation. I didn't dance and scream.

"If a hitter did something like that, it would be bush. It's kind of interesting how a pitcher gets away with it," he said.

Said Chamberlain last Thursday: "It didn't matter who it was, I just wanted to get them out."

I think Joba needs to get over his ability to get some people out. It's not even like he's the closer! Imagine if Jamie Walker remembered how to get people out and started doing cartwheels every time he threw a strike.

This, by the way, is hilarious... The Jobalation Machine at ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=snibbe/080515

I think it's mildly annoying but not worth anything like the amount of attention it's getting especially in NY. The whole "Yankees don't do that" nonsense is just beyond ridiculous. What I find odd though is that it's seen as such a big deal for a pitcher to celebrate a strikeout after the ball's no longer in play (and frequently the game or at least the inning is over), but people think nothing of the posing and bat flipping that goes on after batters hit home runs (or just think they did). Sure, you never see a batter pump their fists and scream exactly like Chamberlain, but their certainly are displays of arrogance and attention getting by batters as they make their way around the bases on homers (and sometimes even after they reach base on a key hit).

Here's one opportunity to justifiably place blame on ESPN. If you simply go about your business and do your job without calling attention to yourself, that's not telegenic. If you celebrate like you just won the lottery every time you do your job, that is telegenic. It isn't going away, so we might as well learn to live with it.

Archived