Why Not?

brianod

I liked that season and wasn't disappointed at all. They weren't expected to do as well as they did. I am just glad they played as well as they did. It was a fun season. Pick just about any Capitals season if you want disappointment.

I suppose disappointed was the wrong word to use. The correct word would be hurt. I hurt for the players who gave so much and came so close to pulling off a miracle.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to have a complete change in the way we approach this team, but I don't think we can do it because the brand of "baseball" that we play is ingrained in our system. Also, the "experiment" with Jones as leadoff man has been a complete failure. Why does Buck persist in keeping him there? Kim would be much better in the leadoff role.

I've waited 27 years for revenge. The Blue Jays got lucky in 1989. I watched every pitch of that series and it was painful. Given our track record in Toronto, most fans would be satisfied with avoiding the sweep. Personally, I say let's turn the tables and sweep them. The heck with reason, logic and our road record. Why Not?

Because they can't hit!

The 1971 and 1979 home losses in game 7 still burn me as do the Evans/Cundiff AFCC loss at NE after 2011. Was there for all 3 of those.

The 1989 and 1974 Orioles were my miracle teams that fell short. In both cases, I always felt the impending doom of facing the A's in the ALCS. Not in Toronto for that awful weekend, but I was at the 1974 1-hitter the Orioles lost to be eliminated.

The other extraordinarily disappointing loss was to the Colts after the 2006 season. Uggh.

And Dave Johnson stepping on a nail. And the usually reliable Mark Williamson being unable to come through. And, of course, Ben McDonald throwing a gem the day after the season ended for the O's. I can't remember much from when I was 12, but that weekend is etched in my mind.

And Dave Johnson stepping on a nail. And the usually reliable Mark Williamson being unable to come through. And, of course, Ben McDonald throwing a gem the day after the season ended for the O's. I can't remember much from when I was 12, but that weekend is etched in my mind.

I think it was Harnisch that stepped on the nail?

I can't remember if this has been posted here or not, but in case it hasn't, you can watch the highlights of the clincher starting 1:03:07.

[video=youtube;ZI3W1qnROKk]

This video helped cement my love of the O's at a very young age. My grandmother would rent this video from Blockbuster and I would watch it continuously in the early 90's. Still brings back amazing memories for me.

To me, this is being a bird fan.

Archived