Sons of Sam Horn bashing Baltimore and O's fans

DrLev

Their swag was for sale back in the days of Memorial Stadium. Baseball, Orioles Baseball, is a business, first.

I've been to several games at Fenway. The only O's gear you could get would be a keychain or a hat pin. That's about it. At some point you don't sell out your team for $. The Sox certainly don't and I don't think the O's would lose a large amount of profit for refusing to carry Red Sox items in the store.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reality is that the Orioles organization is going to continue to sell stuff for the opposing team and make them feel welcome. It's up to us fans to make life as miserable as possible for the Boston fans when they come here. That's the only way we can take back the yard. We've been way too nice in the past.

But what I REAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLY hate is seeing their swag being sold at our souveneir stands. That's the worst.

If you want to let them into the park, fine. I understand that.

But don't let them buy their gear while they're here...I hate walking around OPACY and seeing Sox and MFY stuff for sale while they're in town. Really grinds my gears.

I think they should sell Sox shirts made with iron-on logos, "Ortis" spelled wrong, and with the wrong numbers. For $125 each.

Time to break out this old chestnut

Source Orioles.com, Sept 2005

Orioles fans complain about how Boston faithful take over Camden Yards. By contrast, Orioles management welcomes them instead; Red Sox and Yankees fans keep attendance artificially over the 2 million mark. Read between the lines of what Angelos said. He knows attendance is tied to the team's performance on the field. When we can get back to winning, there won't be as many tickets available for those self-righteous fans from New York and New England. The sooner, the better.

Management allowing Millar to be a Red Sox cheerleader last fall, well that's another story.

The Sox fans may sully OPACY with their red and blue gear, but their money's green just like the home fans'.

It'd be fascinating to see if given the option, whether folks here would prefer to put up with the Sox and Yanks invasion if it meant signing Teixeira was possible, or prefer to have the park all to themselves and sign another Aubrey Huff type.

The reality is that the Orioles organization is going to continue to sell stuff for the opposing team and make them feel welcome. It's up to us fans to make life as miserable as possible for the Boston fans when they come here. That's the only way we can take back the yard. We've been way too nice in the past.

Seriously. I'm tired of that best behaved fans in baseball crap. When was that decided? It just sort of happened. Screw that. I doubt we'll ever get back to "World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum" status, but we need to cut this "behaved" crap out.

Disclaimer: Not saying to be lewd, or to be rated above PG or so with kids around, but this "high brow" sit there and do nothing mentality has got to go.

The Sox fans may sully OPACY with their red and blue gear, but their money's green just like the home fans'.

It'd be fascinating to see if given the option, whether folks here would prefer to put up with the Sox and Yanks invasion if it meant signing Teixeira was possible, or prefer to have the park all to themselves and sign another Aubrey Huff type.

Yes, fascinating if you enjoy discussions of red herrings.

Oh, I'd take option A. But that doesn't mean that the fans have to be accommodating. I totally expect a certain amount of opposing team merch to be sold at certain locations, as well. It is a business, to be certain. But there's definitely a "okay, the Sox are in town, pull out those shirts and put them on display" mentality at the souvenir stands...bad form.

I think they should sell Sox shirts made with iron-on logos, "Ortis" spelled wrong, and with the wrong numbers. For $125 each.

I think a shiftier plan would be to sell Red Sox jerseys with Dent, Boone or Jeter on the back

I've been to several games at Fenway. The only O's gear you could get would be a keychain or a hat pin. That's about it. At some point you don't sell out your team for $. The Sox certainly don't and I don't think the O's would lose a large amount of profit for refusing to carry Red Sox items in the store.
I'm not crazy about it. My only point was it's nothing new. I used to collect ballcaps. At Memorial Stadium, I could buy a cap and pennant from every team in baseball.
# 20 - Pukeilis

Now now. Dave finds red herring a delicacy.

Oh oh oh, I get to make two Clue references in one post:

1) And, monkeys brains, while a delicacy in Cantonese culture, are not often to be found in Washington D.C.!

2) No. Communism was just a red herring.

It would be an exceptionally stupid front office that would sign a player and pay him out of previously saved money. The Orioles would sign Teixeira with the assumption that his ability and his hometown connections would put enough people in the stands to make his contract profitable.

If today's Yankee and Red Sox fans are contributing to the Teixeira fund that would imply that once he's signed attendance would continue to stagnate, or worse. When does a team sign a $20M player to a long-term deal despite the assumption that he'll do nothing for wins and revenues?

You forgot Buckner. :drek:

Witchy

Didn't you get the YESPN memo? They forgave him. They gave him a standing O and everything when he threw out the first pitch.

But you know what? If I were Bill Buckner, I would have gone out to throw the first pitch, stood there, dropped the ball, turned around slowly in a circle with both middle fingers extended and walked off the field (or, carried off).

Then called an immediate PC and been like "you tortured me, and my family, for two decades. And now that you won a couple of World Series, you think things are hunky dory? Oh, sorry for all the mental anguish, Bill, no hard feelings, we're winners now"? Well, I'm sorry, "Red Sox Nation, but it doesn't work that way. I'd rather continue receiving your hate mail then get your hypocritical accolades."

Never would have happened, but it shoulda.

Archived