Boston hurler Clay Bucholz on DL with a BROKEN FINGERNAIL!!!

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not really that sure how to respond to this thread, especially since a mod started it. What is so funny about a player getting hurt?

I guess because "breaking a nail" is a running joke about/against women. You know, "don't ________________ honey, you might break a nail." Which is sexist and not really funny any time after about nineteen aught six. And a pitcher breaking a nail is a pretty big deal, like blisters, which pitchers also get made fun of for having. But Scottie has made it known that his wife can throw down and kick ass, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. ;)

The middle finger is pretty important when throwing a curve. As funny as this sounds, it can be pretty painful to try it with a badly split or partially missing nail on that finger.

I suspect this is a procedural move to allow them to bring up another pitcher while his nail has a chance to grow back.

I'm not really that sure how to respond to this thread, especially since a mod started it. What is so funny about a player getting hurt?

He's sitting out...because he broke a fingernail...it's funny. :confused:

It has nothing to do with sexism and the aforementioned Mrs. Baseball makes sure nothing that comes out of this mouth is chauvinistic.

Going on the DL for a broken nail is weak, lame, and something I can't imagine Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, etc. ever doing.

It has nothing to do with sexism and the aforementioned Mrs. Baseball makes sure nothing that comes out of this mouth is chauvinistic.

Going on the DL for a broken nail is weak, lame, and something I can't imagine Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, etc. ever doing.

Well, it's a guy they're trying to kind of limit innings on, and with Crisp and Drew going down, it allows them to both shut him down for a start and make the corresponding move to get an outfielder up. I guess it's mildly amusing, but not really much more so than shutting a pitcher down for blisters, IMO.

It's really not. Not only are broken nails as painful as any injury I've ever had, they make it very difficult to pitch.

Yeah, keep in mind that he keeps the nails short, so if he breaks one, that's literally cutting him to the quick. I can't imagine trying to pitch like that, with any effectiveness.

It's still Marty Cordova territory though. They should have just said he had a finger injury.

Well, it's a guy they're trying to kind of limit innings on, and with Crisp and Drew going down, it allows them to both shut him down for a start and make the corresponding move to get an outfielder up. I guess it's mildly amusing, but not really much more so than shutting a pitcher down for blisters, IMO.

I think this is their logic, especially considering Buckholtz says that he feels fine

"It was really tender toward the end of the outing. Yesterday and today, it feels fine. I feel like I could throw."

Sorry Scottie, I guess I was a little slow.

A finger injury like that on a throwing hand would certainly make it hard to pitch. If it limited his ability to say, throw the curve, it means that is also one less thing for hitters to worry about.

Sorry Scottie, I guess I was a little slow.

A finger injury like that on a throwing hand would certainly make it hard to pitch. If it limited his ability to say, throw the curve, it means that is also one less thing for hitters to worry about.

Apparently it was quite the opposite, but your general point remains the same. :smile11:

"I could only feel it when I threw fastballs, so that's why we strayed away from throwing fastballs and went to a lot of changeups and curveballs," he said. "Whenever they did call a fastball, I tried to throw it as hard as I could because regardless of how much pressure I put on it, I could feel the pain. I just tried to let it go and most of the time, the pitch wasn't where I intended to throw it."

Yeah, keep in mind that he keeps the nails short, so if he breaks one, that's literally cutting him to the quick. I can't imagine trying to pitch like that, with any effectiveness.

It's still Marty Cordova territory though. They should have just said he had a finger injury.

Didn't Cordova get hurt while being in a tanning bed or something crazy like that?

That's right up there with someone having a strained eyelid, who's name escapes me right now. I don't think the nail breaking is quite up there, still funny because it happened to a Red Sox player.

Archived