Face facts: Freddie Bynum is not the answer at SS

Three Run Homer

I was very happy that Trembley gave Bynum a shot at SS. I have never been a Luis Hernandez supporter because it's clear to me that he is not a major league caliber hitter, and his lackluster defense so far this year gave Trembley every reason to look elsewhere.

I like Freddie Bynum as a player. Bynum brings good energy to the club, and he has something to offer with the bat. He's got some power, some speed and is willing to take a pitch. Given 400 at bats, I wouldn't be surprised if he could put up some Melvin Mora (pre-peak) numbers. But except for his first game back, he's made at least one bad defensive play every game that has cost a baserunner. So far we haven't lost any games as a result, but sooner or later we will. Maybe today (as I write, we're losing 1-0 on an infield single by Ellsbury that a better defensive SS would have converted into an out).

Is it time to give Cintron a look? Obviously we'd like a better answer for next season and the long run, but for now I think we need better defense up the middle than either LH or Bynum have shown so far.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was very happy that Trembley gave Bynum a shot at SS. I have never been a Luis Hernandez supporter because it's clear to me that he is not a major league caliber hitter, and his lackluster defense so far this year gave Trembley every reason to look elsewhere.

I like Freddie Bynum as a player. Bynum brings good energy to the club, and he has something to offer with the bat. He's got some power, some speed and is willing to take a pitch. Given 400 at bats, I wouldn't be surprised if he could put up some Melvin Mora (pre-peak) numbers. But except for his first game back, he's made at least one bad defensive play every game that has cost a baserunner. So far we haven't lost any games as a result, but sooner or later we will. Maybe today (as I write, we're losing 1-0 on an infield single by Ellsbury that a better defensive SS would have converted into an out).

Is it time to give Cintron a look? Obviously we'd like a better answer for next season and the long run, but for now I think we need better defense up the middle than either LH or Bynum have shown so far.

Freddie has played 20 career games at SS in the last 4 years and has made one error. I know errors don't tell the whole story or even half of the story, but I think given the state of his competition we can afford to give him a month or two. Cintron isn't a long term option and if nothing else this time will allow Bynum to become a better utility option.

Freddie isn't going to be the answer long term, but the O's need to give him a shot to be the answer for 2008. :smile11:

Freddie isn't going to be the answer long term, but the O's need to give him a shot to be the answer for 2008. :smile11:

To be clear...I never for one minute thought that Freddie was the long-term answer (and I don't think anyone else on this board thought so either). I was hoping that his defense would be no worse than mediocre and that the O's could live with it for 2008. Unfortunately I think his defense is worse than mediocre.

Freddy Bynum has never been a long term answer.

In the short term the answer to this question is very much dynamic. At this very moment, Freddy Bynum is the best answer. This may not be true very soon.

To be clear...I never for one minute thought that Freddie was the long-term answer (and I don't think anyone else on this board thought so either). I was hoping that his defense would be no worse than mediocre and that the O's could live with it for 2008. Unfortunately I think his defense is worse than mediocre.

Ehh could be :noidea: I just think given our options, the O's should give him a chance to play his way into or out of a position.

Sure Freddy Bynum is the answer. If the question was "who can play short for a month or two now that the sun has set on the Luis Hernandez era and MacPhail is still rummaging around for a good shortstop?"

Nobody in their right mind ever thought Boom Boom was going to be a regular in September, much less down the road.

Archived