Face facts: Freddie Bynum is not the answer at SS

Three Run Homer

I think the last ten years have shown us pretty conclusively that what we'd assume to be true often isn't when it comes to major league baseball, and how teams and individuals go about their jobs. You'd think video and analysis would be used all the time by everyone. It's not. You'd think players would all work out hard during the offseason, yet Aubrey Huff said it just occurred to him this past year that maybe he should be doing some baseball-specific workouts in the winter. You'd think the O's would have someone who's area of expertise is roster rules and keeping tabs on the state of the 40-man, yet they had two or three years in a row where they lost players in the rule 5 draft that they clearly wanted to keep while there were empty slots on the 40-man, or slots occupied by clearly inferior players.

I think it's far from certain that the O's had teams of scouts watching Luis Hernandez' every move at Bowie last year, and it highly doubtful they had people watching him regularly before that.

LH was the SS because of his time up here...For what i was told, and this is last year when he was playing better, DT loved what LH brought to the team defensively.

And, if you read the quotes by DT, you would know that he thought LH would hit enough...How on earth could he think that by looking at his MiL performance, whether it be visually or by stats? He felt that way because he hit 290 in a brief, lucky stint last year.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, my assumption is that, while I was very impressed with how he did last year, that's not the basis on which the O's made their decision. I assume (rightly or wrongly) that they had guys watching him play everyday in the minors, and that AM came out of the org meeting last fall hearing that he was a whiz in the field. This is the primary basis for my conclusion that what we've seen this year is him choking rather than "revealing his true fielding ability". If this was his true fielding ability, he never would have had the chance. I think it's naive to think that the O's made their decision based on the limited number of games that we got to see him on TV. People need to separate what we see on TV from what the O's see via people throughout the entire org. This is a mistake that people routinely make around here, and it's happening yet again in this case re: the SS-ability of both LH and Bynum. LH got his chance for a reason, and Freddie got moved off SS for a reason too. What we've seen this year is typical of neither one of them.

Whether LH's choking is correctable and/or whether he'll get another chance are entirely different questions. So is whether or not Freddie can keep it up for a few months.

I totally concur with this post, except I would mortgage my house Bynum won't keep it up.

It's just a hoot to me that people who like to discount LH's performance last year due to small sample size are more than happy to trust a small sample size this year when it shows LH doing poorly and Freddie being hot. The phrase "gleeful hypocrisy" comes to mind.

Yea, it couldn't be that people have analyzed the situation and think Freddy is a better option based on all the available information. No, it has to be that they're all hypocritical haters. :rolleyes:

I am not sure I understand this statement. The O's have a manager and two coaches that saw LH play at Bowie. As baseball men their job is to advise LH on how to improve and to report to O's management his progress. How much more scouting does a team need?

Shack thinks the O's made a well thought out, well reasoned decision to go with Hernandez based on a wealth of information from various sources that said he was a spectacular fielder.

I think they asked the coaches at Bowie how he fielded, they said "oh, he's darned good", saw him play well for a couple weeks in Baltimore, and decided that's good enough.

Shack thinks the O's made a well thought out, well reasoned decision to go with Hernandez based on a wealth of information from various sources that said he was a spectacular fielder.

I think they asked the coaches at Bowie how he fielded, they said "oh, he's darned good", saw him play well for a couple weeks in Baltimore, and decided that's good enough.

What does it matter anyway? LH looked darn good defensively last season but for some reason has looked tentative to say the least, at short this year. He looked fantastic though, in the game he played second base. What does any of this mean? Who knows, anybody's guess is as good as anyone elses.

Terrible terrible defense being shown by Bynum. His bat is no longer hot so he's basically worse than Loooie. That pop up by Dmitri was turribull

Dude, just stay where you are. Don't try to move; you'll just hurt your knee even worse.

I already called 911, and told them that you shattered it by jerking it up into the bottom of your desk. They should be there shortly.

You're going to be fine. We'll get through this.

Archived