Face facts: Freddie Bynum is not the answer at SS

Three Run Homer

Wow, you really are dense. I call BS. :bs:

Luis had 76 at-bats compared to Bynum's 22.

Bynum has a .318/.348/.364 line

Hernandez has a .250/.306/.263 line

What makes you think .306 and .348 are identical? Do you actually look at stats?

Luis: 145 career AB, .303 OBP, .310 SLG, 4 SB, .972 fielding % in 53 games at SS

Freddie: 258 AB, .304 OBP, .446 SLG, 16 SB, .981 fielding % in 20 games at SS

Again, I fail to see where Bynum as a SS is so much more of an offensive jaggernaut than LH as a SS. It just isn't so.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Luis: 145 career AB, .303 OBP, .310 SLG, 4 SB, .972 fielding % in 53 games at SS

Bynum in over 100 more career ML ab's at SS has an OBP .001 better than the much offensively maligned LH. I don't see where Bynum is so much better offensively. In fact, he's not.

LOL...Your original assertion was they have the same OPS this season.

Now you are saying for their careers...Well, both are in small sample sizes and Bynum was much better in the minors.

Plus, the difference in the slugging % is enormous.

Sorry, you are failing to use that logic stuff again.

Again, I fail to see where Bynum as a SS is so much more of an offensive jaggernaut than LH as a SS. It just isn't so.

In the stats you post, dont you notice how Bynum has a higher SLG by .136 and a better fielding percentage?

:bs::bs::bs::bs::bs:

As SG pointed out, your assertion was THIS SEASON. Now you are quoting career stats.

If he is so much of a "better" hitter how come is OBP is virtually identical to LH this season?

If Luis is as good as Bynum why is his major league slugging percentage 140 points worse, and his minor league OPS nearly 100 points worse? At the age of 23 Bynum was putting up a .700 OPS in AA and then put up another .700 at 24 in AAA. At 23 Hernandez put up a .592 in AA and a .546 in AAA. At 24 Hernandez has a .569 in the majors.

Bynum isn't a great hitter. He's miles ahead of Hernandez.

In the stats you post, dont you notice how Bynum has a higher SLG by .136 and a better fielding percentage?

This particular argument is not about fielding percentage although what you state is true, I still don't think Byum is a better defensive player than LH. Neither was Tejada.

If Luis is as good as Bynum why is his major league slugging percentage 140 points worse, and his minor league OPS nearly 100 points worse? At the age of 23 Bynum was putting up a .700 OPS in AA and then put up another .700 at 24 in AAA. At 23 Hernandez put up a .592 in AA and a .546 in AAA. At 24 Hernandez has a .569 in the majors.

Bynum isn't a great hitter. He's miles ahead of Hernandez.

Yea but minor league stats don't mean anything!

And of course, let's overlook the obviously lucky 290 BA that LH had last year up here.

As SG pointed out, your assertion was THIS SEASON. Now you are quoting career stats.

I meant to type "through this season." My bad. Regardless, the stats are what they are. You can analyze them any way you want.

This particular argument is not about fielding percentage although what you state is true, I still don't think Byum is a better defensive player than LH. Neither was Tejada.

This particular argument also isnt about career stats. It is about this year, as you stated, so I am sorry that after you went outside of the argument that the rest of us went outside of the argument.

I will go as far as saying as I KNOW LH is better defensively...But the difference between them offensively is much greater and thus, Bynum is the better player.

Plus, Bynum has more speed, so he can help that way and if he isn't a moron on the bases, he will be better than LH in that regard as well.

Con:

Laid back on one play on a high hopper and did not get the throw there in time. It was a bad decision not to charge, but we have seen him charge balls well so its not like he can't make that play, he just didn't.

Fell down on a play in the infield (on wet grass I believe) and didn't get the runner at first. He then tried to make the throw while on his butt and almost throw the ball away. Millar came off the bag and caught the throw.

That is about all I have to go on. What have you guys seen?

Well, without thinking about it too hard there was also a soft line drive to his backhand that should have been caught easily, but that popped out of his glove for a cheap hit; there was a groundball that ate him up on an intermediate hop for a cheap hit that he would have made the play on had he taken a step back; and there was also the play where he caught a shallow popup and slipped, allowing a runner to tag and score from third (the announcers cracked that it was the shortest sacrifice fly in major league history). To be fair, the last play took place last Saturday night in KC during a monsoon, but still it's not a miscue that you see very often, even in rainy conditions.

Maybe he'll get better with more experience at the position...he certainly is athletic enough to be a good defensive player.

Bynum isn't a great hitter. (True)

He's miles ahead of Hernandez.

(Not at the ML level so not true.)

(Not at the ML level so not true.)

Only if you mistakenly believe that they're playing an entirely different sport in the minors.

It's baseball. The players in the minors just aren't quite as good. If you can't hit in the minors, you can't hit in the majors. If you're a much better hitter than a comparable player in the minors, that carries over to the majors.

Freddy Bynum is a better hitter than Luis Hernandez whether they're playing in Baltimore, Frederick, Norfolk, Winnipeg, Fukuoka, Perth, or Taiwan.

Archived