So What Changes Next Year?

JohnD

A good chunk of the roster will be back of course, but not everyone.

You figure Trumbo is gone and the QO nets a draft pick unless that gets bargained out of the new CBA. Wieters is gone. Reimold, Stubbs, and Bourn are probably gone, though I'd try to bring Bourn back. Alvarez is probably gone.

On the plus side you'll have the whole infield back, Jones back, Kim back, everyone of consequence in the bullpen back, and a rotation that starts with Tillman, Bundy, Gausman, Miley, and Gallardo. Unless you make a trade, which I guess is possible. Not sure the last two names net you a whole lot, but maybe. You also have one more year of Ubaldo.

Obviously it'd be great to find another high OBP guy in RF. Someone basically like Dexter Fowler, but not him. Not sure anyone like that is out there, but who knows.

Lastly, does it seem like Hardy has the weakest arm in the infield now? Is that something we can all be ok with going into next year?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the things that must happen is for Duquette or whomever the GM is next year to have complete control of the roster. A guy like T.J. McFarland has been on the 40-man roster for the last four years because of Buck. If PA doesn't trust Duquette enough to give him full control of personnel decisions, fire him and hire somebody else.

What changes is that the younger and more talented Red Sox and Yankees take over the division for the next five year.

The Yankees still don't have much starting pitching. There is not much in free agency as well. If we have the three of Tilman, Bundy and Gausman we will be right in thick of it.

What changes is that the younger and more talented Red Sox and Yankees take over the division for the next five year.

The Red Sox worry me, but people are overreacting to the fact that the Yankees had a good finish. They aren't that good.

Next year... man, going to be a longgg off season. Can't wait for pitchers and catchers to report.

The loss always hurts but losing the last game of the season is always the worst, I forget what I did on week nights before baseball.

One thing that does give me hope is a full season of Tillman, Gausman and Bundy. And hopefully Ubaldo/Gallardo/Miley can eat up innings in the last two rotation spots.

One thing that has to change is the home run or nothing approach of the offense. I know it can't totally change next season, but start bringing in hitters that offer more than home run or strike out.

Also start holding the players accountable. If Adam Jones wants to flail at slider in the dirt, go ahead. But guess what you don't play the next game.

Some OBP, speed, and roster flexibility would be nice.

You can't QO Wieters again and they won't. You'd be paying him nearly twice his value. If he wants to come back on a 2/18 or 2/20 I might consider it, but Chance Sisco needs to be given a chance to be the everyday catcher at some point in 2017 or 2018. He's the kind of bat we need in our lineup.

Trumbo just doesn't fit on this team. Not at the contract he will command. You QO him, thank him for his service and let him walk.

Archived