So What Changes Next Year?

JohnD

Ramos hurt. Only other premium catcher is Lucroy.

I think Wieters gets a 3-4 years deal worth $30-$40m.

Worse things than Wieters at $17-$18m and letting Sisco get better.

Wieters and Ramos are the best catchers on the market right now. I'd want Ramos over Wieters, but if Matt came back for cheap on a one or two year deal then I wouldn't be as disappointed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Britton is not going to be dealt in the offseason.

If at the trade deadline we are not in good (I stress good) position to make another playoff run then near free agency players like Britton, Jones, Tillman (if not extended), Kim, maybe even Machado need to be traded. The haul those guys could bring could potentially reload the organization for the next ten years.

This, to me, is the big question. Is this "run" over or near over? If they don't find a 2017 version of Trumbo or Cruz, it may well be. Timing will be key. If we cut bait we need to do it decisively like the Red Sox did and the Yankees may have.

That said, the bullpen is going to be very good and the rotation has potential. So trying to fix the bats and continue the run may be feasible.

AJ is one of my all-time favorite Orioles. But I'm wondering if parting ways soon would be wise. His offensive approach has infected the entire lineup.

Lucroy has a team option I'm pretty sure, which will be exercised. I'm not sure there are worse things than Wieters at 17 or 18 mil. You can pay a stop gap type guy 3 or 4 mil and spend that extra 12-13 to improve other positions of need with better players.

This.

We really don't need a "premium" catcher w/ power. This team has enough power hitters, even without Trumbo. Improve on the team OBP and we can live w/ a stop-gap, league average catcher while we wait for Sisco.

Wieters and Ramos are the best catchers on the market right now. I'd want Ramos over Wieters, but if Matt came back for cheap on a one or two year deal then I wouldn't be as disappointed.

If you give Wieters a QO, he's guaranteed that amount. While we don't know the exact amount yet, I'm sure LookitsPuck's numbers are not far off. I really do not like Wieters at $17 Mil.

This.

We really don't need a "premium" catcher w/ power. This team has enough power hitters, even without Trumbo. Improve on the team OBP and we can live w/ a stop-gap, league average catcher while we wait for Sisco.

If you give Wieters a QO, he's guaranteed that amount. While we don't know the exact amount yet, I'm sure LookitsPuck's numbers are not far off. I really do not like Wieters at $17 Mil.

I think the QO was announced at 16.5 million this year

That is his current vesting option in his contract, which PA ain't paying. BTW, I hope he croaks and the Angelos kids are forced to sell to Kevin Plank

I am sure that vesting option ended when he was released by the Indians. I

This.

I am guessing the qualifying offer system is history in exchange for international players being added to the draft.

This, to me, is the big question. Is this "run" over or near over? If they don't find a 2017 version of Trumbo or Cruz, it may well be. Timing will be key. If we cut bait we need to do it decisively like the Red Sox did and the Yankees may have.

That said, the bullpen is going to be very good and the rotation has potential. So trying to fix the bats and continue the run may be feasible.

AJ is one of my all-time favorite Orioles. But I'm wondering if parting ways soon would be wise. His offensive approach has infected the entire lineup.

I see what the Yankees have done and other teams around the league. This is the way.

With Bundy, Guasman, and some of the recent draftees along with some good bullpen pieces like Givens, Brach, and O'day under control a trade for a haul of positional talent from our major league assets at the deadline next year could have us competing again (maybe) as soon as 2019 or 2020.

Reloading is possible. Doesn't have to be a complete rebuild. I'm still for extending Manny long term, but I'm ready to say bye to Britton, Jones, and Tillman if we aren't competing in July of next season. Manny would have to go to if you can't extend him in the offseason because you can't risk him hitting free agency for nothing but a comp pick.

You have to have defense to be a big league catcher. You don't figure it out here.

There is a very good defensive catcher in the O's farm with a good bat. He won't be blasting bombs, but he consistently produces hits and gets on base.

He is going to the Arizona Fall League this season, which is either good or bad. Good, because he can work a bit more and show the Orioles what tools he has. Bad, because if I saw it correctly (and I could be wrong,) he would be Rule 5 pick eligible and they could be showing him off, which will come back to bite them.

Archived