The Best Free Agent Signings

tywright

Our buddy Jon Heyman's opinion of the top 20 best free agent signings includes 8, yes 8 Redsox and Yankee signings (4 each). Hmmmm...and this includes the Bernie Williams re-signing in 1999 and the Hideki "I gave up a Slam to Jay Payton" Okajima in 2007. Does he realize there are 28 other teams in baseball?

Hey Heyman...you just lost any credibility you had...which was practically nothing to begin with. Where's Roberto Alomar in 1996?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/05/14/heyman.bestfreeagents/index.html

Okajima makes no sense, he's a middle reliever. A good one, but there have been far more impactful signings.

Hard to disagree with any of the others, its all a matter of scale. He's obviously giving a lot of preference to deals that were subsequently followed by tons of success for their franchises.

I'd argue that Raffy Palmeiro's first deal with the O's should be on the list.

Baylor? Jimmy Key? Matsui? Bernie Williams? Manny Ramirez? These are the best ever? Seriously, the guy even notes that no one else wanted Manny for that price in his article. Plus, some of these deals aren't even near over yet, and it's too early to tell.

Okajima makes no sense, he's a middle reliever. A good one, but there have been far more impactful signings.

Hard to disagree with any of the others, its all a matter of scale. He's obviously giving a lot of preference to deals that were subsequently followed by tons of success for their franchises.

I'd argue that Raffy Palmeiro's first deal with the O's should be on the list.

I was thinking the same thing myself...and agree with Alomar also.

There's no way however that Pudge Rodriguez and his 4/40 contract should be anywhere near a best free agent signings list. I also don't get why Bernie Williams is on there. He had some good years but how did he stand out from the 8 other overpaid all stars in the Yankee lineup? And yeah Okajima definitely shouldn't be on there. Now that I think about it if he was going to put a newer Yankee/Red Sox reliever, then Mariano Rivera would have been a much better choice.

Archived