Projected Orioles Opening Day Payroll 2017

AZRon

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I doubt they cut Bundy's 1.8m salary.

Mcfarland is different from the other add-on players.  His salary will be paid if he makes it through waivers to Norfolk just before opening day.   This is what Dan did with Zach Phillip and Chaz Roe last year.  They were paid a major league salary to be in the minors.

The other add-on players have options and will only receive a major league salary while they are in the majors.

Thanks -- you are correct as to McFarland; I've made the adjustments in the charts

For now, I've left Bundy's projected salary as reflecting a 20% cut

Thanks for the help

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/11/2016 at 4:49 PM, AZRon said:

Article VI. B. covers the maximum salary reduction permitted; here it is (in part):

B. Maximum Salary Reduction

(1) Maximum Salary Cut Rule

A Club may not tender, sign or renew a Player under reserve to the Club pursuant to Article XX(A) of this Agreement and paragraph 10(a) of the Uniform Player?s Contract to a Uniform Player?s Contract that provides a salary for:

(a) Major League service that constitutes a reduction in

excess of 20% of his salary for Major League service in the previous season or in excess of 30% of his salary for Major League service two seasons prior to the first season covered by the new contract; or

(b) Minor League service as calculated under Section 2©

below that constitutes a reduction in excess of 40% of his salary for Minor League service in the previous season.

(2) Calculation of Previous Seasons Salaries

(a) Single-Year Contract?Previous Major League Salaries

In order to calculate a Player?s salary for Major League service

in the previous season or two seasons prior to the first season

covered by the new contract, the following steps shall be taken:

(i) Base Salary. The Player?s ?Base Salary? shall be the

rate of pay for Major League service contained in paragraph 2

of the contract, or in any special covenant thereto. The Base

Salary shall be adjusted in accordance with paragraphs

2(a)(ii)-(v) below to determine the Player?s salary.

(ii) Deferred Compensation Adjustment. If any deferred

compensation is included in the Base Salary, the Base Salary

shall be adjusted to reflect the discounted present value of the deferred amount.

(iii) Signing Bonus Adjustment. If the contract contains a

signing bonus, the signing bonus shall be added to the Base

Salary. If any portion of the signing bonus is deferred, the

present value of the signing bonus shall be used for purposes

of the calculation in this paragraph 2(a)(iii).

(iv) Performance Bonus Adjustment. If the contract contains

performance bonuses, regardless of whether or not any

portion of the bonus is earned, the Club has the option of either adding the entire bonus (both earned and unearned portions) in the Base Salary, or excluding it from the Base Salary but repeating the bonus on the same terms.

Since I don't know the exact details of his contract, I'll adjust my projections to account for the 20% maximum reduction to $1.44M

Thanks for noting this

Could be wrong, but I believe this was the tactic they took with Guthrie. As I recall, feelings were hurt.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

They was, I dont see them cutting Bundy's salary. IMO

It would seem short-sighted (and, perhaps, unfair) to cut Bundy's salary

However, I struggle to find many (any?) instances where Dan Duquette has opted for the "long-term" view

33 minutes ago, AZRon said:

I've adjusted the charts for the Seth Smith trade; the current projected 2017 opening day payroll is $151.35M

Will you account for the 2M that the O's are sending to the Mariners.  I expect that Cots Contract will show the O's paying 2m of Gallardo's  2017 salary.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Will you account for the 2M that the O's are sending to the Mariners.  I expect that Cots Contract will show the O's paying 2m of Gallardo's  2017 salary.

No -- as I see it, the $2M (or whatever cash amount the O's are sending the Mariners) is part of the Seth Smith acquisition cost

9 hours ago, AZRon said:

No -- as I see it, the $2M (or whatever cash amount the O's are sending the Mariners) is part of the Seth Smith acquisition cost

Its your chart to do what you want but Cots Contract did about what I thought they would do and added the 2m to the O's payroll.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13J2w3Ki1TYPWKu4i2Ua1IaFAnEvvZCX1ud7buB8MBNw/pubhtml

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

It's actually due in 2018. As an option payment.  Cot's is just another contract service. It does happen to be sanctioned by BP. Very accurate usually though. It's not official for union or MLB calculations however. 

10 minutes ago, weams said:

It's actually due in 2018. As an option payment.  Cot's is just another contract service. It does happen to be sanctioned by BP. Very accurate usually though. It's not official for union or MLB calculations though. 

It sounds like the O's sent 2M to the Mariners to use as they see fit.   No one knows if the M's will use the money for the buyout or  extend Gallardo.   He may do well  in a bigger park.    So  all that matters to the O's is that they sent 2M to the M's now.  And its responsible to account for this now IMO.

Just now, wildcard said:

It sounds like the O's sent 2M to the Mariners to use as they see fit.   No one knows if the M's will use the money for the buyout or  extend Gallardo.   He may do well  in a bigger park.    So  all that matters to the O's is that they sent 2M to the M's now.  And its responsible to account for this now IMO.

Ok.  Good take.

I guess depending on who you hear it from. I have no problem with someone wanting to add two million to the accounting of the 2017 MLB payroll. I would however wish to see how MLB would account for it from Luxury Tax prospective. It may be important soon. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Ok.  Good take.

I guess depending on who you hear it from. I have no problem with someone wanting to add two million to the accounting of the 2017 MLB payroll. I would however wish to see how MLB would account for it from Luxury Tax prospective. It may be important soon. 

You really think the O's go to 195m?

Archived