Trade Idea - Colorado

Answerman

I propose we swap Jimenez to the Rockies for Carlos Gonzalez (though you could replace Ubaldo with Miley or Gallardo and it would be the same trade). I recognize we will have to throw in a little extra, but I don't think it would require too much extra. Financially, both players are in their final contract years, so there are no long-term effects. The Rockies would pick up another ~$7M in payroll flexibility, which appears to be a concern for them. We would raise our payroll by the same amount, but I figure we would spend at least that much on a free agent outfielder.

Cargo may not be expected to put up Trumbo numbers, but I think he would be a nice one-year placeholder with the potential for a big year. Another lefty power bat wouldn't hurt. While not a gold glover, I think it would be an upgrade over last year's outfield defense.

Potential prospect throw ins needed to close this deal might include two of: Parker Bridwell, Tanner Scott, DJ Stewart, Jesus Liranzo, etc.

Thoughts?

I propose we swap Jimenez to the Rockies for Carlos Gonzalez (though you could replace Ubaldo with Miley or Gallardo and it would be the same trade). I recognize we will have to throw in a little extra, but I don't think it would require too much extra. Financially, both players are in their final contract years, so there are no long-term effects. The Rockies would pick up another ~$7M in payroll flexibility, which appears to be a concern for them. We would raise our payroll by the same amount, but I figure we would spend at least that much on a free agent outfielder.

Cargo may not be expected to put up Trumbo numbers, but I think he would be a nice one-year placeholder with the potential for a big year. Another lefty power bat wouldn't hurt. While not a gold glover, I think it would be an upgrade over last year's outfield defense.

Potential prospect throw ins needed to close this deal might include two of: Parker Bridwell, Tanner Scott, DJ Stewart, Jesus Liranzo, etc.

Thoughts?

They could do way better than that with Gonzalez.

I'm not so sure, maybenxtyr...I don't think there are many teams willing to take on a $20M outfielder with good, but not great, numbers and defense (and whose numbers could be Colorado inflated). If they had that kind of coin, they could probably get a similar free agent for considerably less money.

Colorado doesn't want to take on any salary to trade him. Plus, they have a couple young guys who have proven themselves in the minors and may be ready to compete for that spot. I recognize we are not giving up much, but I think the Rockies would at least listen to this.

If we had to beef up our offer....would you? And if so, what would you offer?

I'm not so sure, maybenxtyr...I don't think there are many teams willing to take on a $20M outfielder with good, but not great, numbers and defense (and whose numbers could be Colorado inflated). If they had that kind of coin, they could probably get a similar free agent for considerably less money.

Colorado doesn't want to take on any salary to trade him. Plus, they have a couple young guys who have proven themselves in the minors and may be ready to compete for that spot. I recognize we are not giving up much, but I think the Rockies would at least listen to this.

If we had to beef up our offer....would you? And if so, what would you offer?

I would take him, even accounting for the "Coors" effect. I'm not a very good judge of trade values though. I think they could get at least one ML ready guy with some upside, especially if they take on a lesser bad contract like Ubaldo.

I would take him, even accounting for the "Coors" effect. I'm not a very good judge of trade values though. I think they could get at least one ML ready guy with some upside, especially if they take on a lesser bad contract like Ubaldo.

Seems like teams can come pretty close to CarGo by signing a FA outfielder that isn't saddled with a QO for a lot less money than CarGo's $20 million salary without giving up a MLB-ready guy with upside.

Colorado would like to get out from under CarGo's $20 million salary for 2017. CarGo hits FA after the season. Blackmon has 2 more years of arbitration. They have no burning desire to trade Blackmon.

I'm not sure this is true anymore. Colorado thinks they can compete this year, now that they've added a ton of extremely talented young pitchers. In my eyes they're a few good relievers and one veteran 1B away from being an 85-88 win team.

C:Tom Murphy

1B:TBD

2B:Lemahieu

3B:Arenado

SS:Story

RF:Cargo

CF:Blackmon

LF:Dahl

SP: Jon Gray,Tyler Anderson,Chad Bettis,Tyler Chatwood,Jeff Hoffman

They've also got a ton of trade pieces out there like Raimel Tapia, Kyle Freeland,Brendan Rodgers,Antonio Senzatela, Riley Pint, Ryan McMahon, etc

The emergence of OF David Dahl last season gives the Rockies some flexibility. If they wanted to go with Gerrardo Parra in right, they could seek trades for Cargo. I'm not sure they would, though. Dahl, Blackmon and CarGo from left to right is a very good outfield, both offensively and defensively. The fanbase is starved for a winning team. And if they DID move CarGo, I think we'd have to provide them a ML-ready pitcher. They have a nice core, under control, in Gray, Bettis and Chatwood. I would think Bundy's name would come up a lot.... The bullpen was atrocious last season, so if the Os wanted to part ways with Britton... Anyway, more musing than reality...

The emergence of OF David Dahl last season gives the Rockies some flexibility. If they wanted to go with Gerrardo Parra in right, they could seek trades for Cargo. I'm not sure they would, though. Dahl, Blackmon and CarGo from left to right is a very good outfield, both offensively and defensively. The fanbase is starved for a winning team. And if they DID move CarGo, I think we'd have to provide them a ML-ready pitcher. They have a nice core, under control, in Gray, Bettis and Chatwood. I would think Bundy's name would come up a lot.... The bullpen was atrocious last season, so if the Os wanted to part ways with Britton... Anyway, more musing than reality...

Yeah, I'm not seeing any team wanting to trade a Bundy or Britton, or anything near that, for one year of CarGo at $20 million. I think it is very likely that CarGo stays in Colorado this year, but not because that's what the Rockies want. I just don't think he is a very attractive target, given his salary, splits, and short term. JMO.

I'm not sure this is true anymore. Colorado thinks they can compete this year, now that they've added a ton of extremely talented young pitchers. In my eyes they're a few good relievers and one veteran 1B away from being an 85-88 win team.

C:Tom Murphy

1B:TBD

2B:Lemahieu

3B:Arenado

SS:Story

RF:Cargo

CF:Blackmon

LF:Dahl

SP: Jon Gray,Tyler Anderson,Chad Bettis,Tyler Chatwood,Jeff Hoffman

They've also got a ton of trade pieces out there like Raimel Tapia, Kyle Freeland,Brendan Rodgers,Antonio Senzatela, Riley Pint, Ryan McMahon, etc

I believe they'd trade him without thinking twice if they could get someone to overpay, but I believe he stays in Colorado.

Archived