Is Penn still hurt...

oriole_way

Well, Loewen, Spoone and Patton are injured, and one could argue that Liz' stock has also dropped somewhat...Erbe is still a mystery...Beato has still not shown why he was a supplemental first rounder and is now hurt. Spoone is supposed to return soon and hopefully Loewen will be back this summer.

Patton was already hurt before they got him and i would not consider Spoone's injury serious. Also Beato is where he was last year and Erbe has improved so while there is ann argument there for those players mentioned I dont think it is severe as it was made out to be.

Still, I can't complain about the depth and quality of young pitchers in the organization. The disappointments are more than balanced out by the number of young guys who have taken a major step forward: Cabrera, Olson, Johnson, and Albers at the major league level, and Hernandez, Berken, Bergesen, Tillman, Arietta, and Britton at the minor league level.

Agreed! gotta love all of the pitching!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless he had a ruptured or burst appendix, I find it rather ridiculous that it took him as long as it did to recover from that usually very minor surgery. I was 47 years old and donated a kidney to my father and was back to work in less than two weeks. Either this guy is a wimp or a head case or possibly both. I have little hope for him at this point in time to ever pan out.

LOL...You are a doctor now too? :rolleyes:

Unless he had a ruptured or burst appendix, I find it rather ridiculous that it took him as long as it did to recover from that usually very minor surgery. I was 47 years old and donated a kidney to my father and was back to work in less than two weeks. Either this guy is a wimp or a head case or possibly both. I have little hope for him at this point in time to ever pan out.

You do realize he missed most of last season with a bone spur in his right elbow (aka his pitching elbow). :rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with baseball but I was the recipiant of a kidney from my wife and would like to let you know that the gift that you gave your father cannot be quantified unless you are on the receiving end. There needs to be a lot more people out there like you that are selfless and put others first. OK I will get off my soapbox now but thought you should know from someone who doesn't know you that it is a wonderful thing you did!

:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3:

This has nothing to do with baseball but I was the recipiant of a kidney from my wife and would like to let you know that the gift that you gave your father cannot be quantified unless you are on the receiving end. There needs to be a lot more people out there like you that are selfless and put others first. OK I will get off my soapbox now but thought you should know from someone who doesn't know you that it is a wonderful thing you did!

:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3:

Thanks, but I only did the right thing. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had another to give away.

LOL...You are a doctor now too? :rolleyes:

No, but again, unless he had a ruptured appendix, an appendectomy is about as minor a surgery as a tonsillectomy. It shouldn't have taken him months to recover. I stand by that.

No, but again, unless he had a ruptured appendix, an appendectomy is about as minor a surgery as a tonsillectomy. It shouldn't have taken him months to recover. I stand by that.

Penn had surgery on May 23rd 2006. He started his throwing program on July 3rd and then started a rehab assignment and made it back to Norfolk.

He recovered from the appendectomy as expected.

Going to a desk job is one thing, pitching is another. I believe everything that was done with Penn after his surgery was dictated by the doctors and the team.

Going to a desk job is one thing, pitching is another. I believe everything that was done with Penn after his surgery was dictated by the doctors and the team.

If you are right then those doctors are ridiculous. For example, I think most folks with an ounce of common sense would acknowledge the NFL is much more of a contact sport and far more dangerous as far as injury possibilities generallly than MLB. Yet Ben Roethlesberger had an appendectomy and I believe missed one game and about a week of practice and was right back out on the field starting a game and taking all kinds of hits. I recall seeing this and thought about Penn and was astonished at how long the dude took off to "recover" from such minor surgery. Big Ben didn' t need weeks to recover and a "rehab" like Penn. I thought that whole thing with Penn like virtually everything else surrounding this guy was nuts. :2yay-thumb:Penn would probably go on the DL for a paper cut and need three weeks of rehab!:rolleyestf::old5fan:

Penn had surgery on May 23rd 2006. He started his throwing program on July 3rd and then started a rehab assignment and made it back to Norfolk.

He recovered from the appendectomy as expected.

Ben Roethlesberger of the Steelers had the same surgery, missed a week of practice and one game and was back out on the field starting the next game and taking vicious hits in one of the roughest games in sports. His total recovery time took less than 10 days. He didn't need a "rehab" either.:rolleyestf::old5fan:

If you are right then those doctors are ridiculous. For example, I think most folks with an ounce of common sense would acknowledge the NFL is much more of a contact sport and far more dangerous as far as injury possibilities generallly than MLB. Yet Ben Roethlesberger had an appendectomy and I believe missed one game and about a week of practice and was right back out on the field starting a game and taking all kinds of hits. I recall seeing this and thought about Penn and was astonished at how long the dude took off to "recover" from such minor surgery. Big Ben didn' t need weeks to recover and a "rehab" like Penn. I thought that whole thing with Penn like virtually everything else surrounding this guy was nuts. :2yay-thumb:Penn would probably go on the DL for a paper cut and need three weeks of rehab!:rolleyestf::old5fan:

I too was surprised that it took him so long to recover and was even more surprised once I saw how quick Big Ben returned to action. Having said that I wouldn't consider an apendectomy minor surgery. Getting a wart removed is minor surgery. Getting cut open and having something taken out is a little bit more serious.

Archived