Buster Olney: Orioles Hire Andy McPhail as COO! Girardi Appears Next!

33rd&Ellerslie

Trembly will be interim manager. Sammy is gone.

Flanigan and Duke out at end of the

season. My contact in Angelos office says this.

Blow it up is ok'ed by Pete if the new leadership makes its case.

I pray that this is all true.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's just kinda stupid. If you're gonna dump Flanny and Duq, do it now. Lame ducks at the trade deadline will hurt this club even more.

After the buster olney thread, I wiki'ed Andy Macphail...

ndy MacPhail (born April 5, 1953) was the president/CEO of the National League Chicago Cubs from September 9, 1994 until Oct. 1, 2006. He won two World Series championships as general manager of the Minnesota Twins (1987, 1991). He is the son of former American League president Lee MacPhail, and the grandson of Larry MacPhail, the only father-and-son members of the Baseball Hall of Fame. He is a possible replacement to Bud Selig to be the next Commissioner of Baseball. Many Cubs fans have nicknamed him "MacFAIL" for his inability to hire anyone productive (Ed Lynch and James "Jim" Hendry) to the General Manager position. It was also clear that all MacPhail really wanted was a chance at the Commissioner's job and used the job with the Cubs as a stepping-stone position.

In June 2007, he was hired as the Chief Operating Officer of the Baltimore Orioles

Geschinger, I understand your sentiment, but everyone knows the Orioles have been talking to others already, Trembly, Johnson all of these names have already come up. I hope Macphail signals the end of Flanny and Duquette; they are ultimately responsible. Girardi is meeting with MacPhail and I would doubt seriously there hasn't already been preliminary negotiations and conversations. It's not like this leak is earth shattering, we have all been speculating about it for a very long time. Sometimes I think that no matter what the Orioles do we find a way to trounce them; ten years of losing probably deserves that.

If they get Giardi, everything will be fine. If not it undermines whomever the next guy is. Everyone will know that they really wanted Giardi and had to settle for whomever.

It's like with free agents. The team publically says they are going after X player, have made an offer to X player and then when they don't sign it's a public slap in the face to the organization. Good organizations keep things quiet. For example, the first time anyone heard that the Angels were interested in Vladamir Guerrero was when they signed him. The Orioles are constantly undermining themselves by making things public that they shouldn't.

No, but say they can't come to an agreement with Giardi. The team comes out looking even more ridiculous and then everybody knows whomever they do get wasn't the guy they wanted, wasn't their first choice. Good organizations keep things quiet until the deal is done... Bad organzations leak like a broken faucet. Unfortunately, the Orioles are the broken faucet.

Can you blame the O's if the leak is coming from Girardi and his people/agent? How much information can they control that is coming from outside the organization? Even with court cases with gag orders, there are often leaks of information to the media as well.

After the buster olney thread, I wiki'ed Andy Macphail...

ndy MacPhail (born April 5, 1953) was the president/CEO of the National League Chicago Cubs from September 9, 1994 until Oct. 1, 2006. He won two World Series championships as general manager of the Minnesota Twins (1987, 1991). He is the son of former American League president Lee MacPhail, and the grandson of Larry MacPhail, the only father-and-son members of the Baseball Hall of Fame. He is a possible replacement to Bud Selig to be the next Commissioner of Baseball. Many Cubs fans have nicknamed him "MacFAIL" for his inability to hire anyone productive (Ed Lynch and James "Jim" Hendry) to the General Manager position. It was also clear that all MacPhail really wanted was a chance at the Commissioner's job and used the job with the Cubs as a stepping-stone position.

In June 2007, he was hired as the Chief Operating Officer of the Baltimore Orioles

Damn, I wiki'd Sam Perlozzo, and he hasn't been fired yet. :P

If they get Giardi, everything will be fine. If not it undermines whomever the next guy is. Everyone will know that they really wanted Giardi and had to settle for whomever.

It's like with free agents. The team publically says they are going after X player, have made an offer to X player and then when they don't sign it's a public slap in the face to the organization. Good organizations keep things quiet. For example, the first time anyone heard that the Angels were interested in Vladamir Guerrero was when they signed him. The Orioles are constantly undermining themselves by making things public that they shouldn't.

Well, you knew they were going to get Girardi anyway....;)

Well, if they hire Girardi, than they are getting a manager who last job, he was named Manager of the Year. The last time the Orioles had a successful season, they let there than manager go, who himself was named Manager of the Year.

So, they have come full circle...

Oh, wait! Holy mackrel... Girardi is an ex-Yankee!

The Orioles haven't said anything about Giardi, Buster Olney has.

Why would Flanagan and Duke be allowed to blow it up themselves if they are getting replaced themselves after the season?

Why would they even blow it up? They might make moves, but they'd make selfish moves in an attempt to prove they aren't deserving of a ****canning.

This would be disasterous. If they don't get Giardi after what is being reported it looks like they get spurned again. If F&D are out at the end of the season it means we have lame ducks at the deadline which is when this team should be making a lot of moves to improve this team.

Archived