Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

9 hours ago, backwardsk said:

You'd trade Bundy for Blackmon? I couldn't bring myself to that.

I would be extremely on the fence about it, but that's where you have to be for most trades. The guy put up 4.4 WAR with a great OBP. He would be a perfect fit for what we need. It would be the all-in move to win now. That doesn't make it the right move.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

If Gausman is their price, there is no way they are coming down to Mancini. Bundy would be meeting them halfway. I would be tempted for Blackmon. 130 OPS+ and .381 OBP last year. 

Mancini might possibly get Cargo. 

They don't want Bundy. In fact, baseball as a whole is not sold on him excelling. 

And for us to be successful, we need him to excel. So there's no match there at all. Honestly, unless we are giving up bit parts, or a relief pitcher, we should not be giving up anything from our team when their are similar free agents on the market. We simply can't afford to lose anything from our core group.   

2 hours ago, weams said:

They don't want Bundy. In fact, baseball as a whole is not sold on him excelling. 

I find this hard to believe unless you're suggesting there are concerns of him staying healthy.   Former number one pitching prospect who showed lights out swing and miss stuff when he found his groove over the summer before tiring. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I would be extremely on the fence about it, but that's where you have to be for most trades. The guy put up 4.4 WAR with a great OBP. He would be a perfect fit for what we need. It would be the all-in move to win now. That doesn't make it the right move.

Are we just ignoring the fact that the guy is turning 31 in July and just had two years in a row with 650 PA, where he averaged 287/341/445 (786)...OPS+ of 103. That is 1330 MLB PA at the age of 27 and 28. I think he is who he is, which is a 2 - 2.5 WAR player

On 12/7/2016 at 8:27 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Right, which is why a handful of posters spent all last season blaming Nolan for everything, like the 24th guy on the roster can turn the season around.

For a bench guy making bench money people sure talked about him a lot.

For a guy not under contract people sure talk about him a lot.

But yea, it's the team that's obsessed.

I haven't seen anyone obsessed with him, but I have seem people, including myself who thought there were much better options in house than Reimold. 

But, back to Trumbo... I really don't understand the Orioles focus on trying to dump so much money into a DH. Unless they play to as Davis to move to RF full time (and I'm not sure he's be a lot better than Trumbo out there) I just don't get trying so hard to resign him when this lineup needs OBP and guys who work pitchers more than anything. 

12 hours ago, crawjo said:

Yeah, I'm not trading either Gausman or Bundy. Their success is critical to the team doing well next year. 

Honestly, that's where I'm at unless we were blown away by an offer. This team needs these two to give them quality starts at a discount for them to be able to compete over the next few years.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You have any supporting information for that stance or is it simply supposition? 

Different people close to the organization have indicated that Colorado only wants Gausman for the outfielders north of Parra.  Many people that know the organization have suggested a more modest career path for Bundy than we have tried to conjure. 

Just now, weams said:

Different people close to the organization have indicated that Colorado only wants Gausman for the outfielders north of Parra.  Many people that know the organization have suggested a more modest career path for Bundy than we have tried to conjure. 

I think back then, there was question marks about Bundy, since he hadn't been healthy and pitched much at the big league level.

I think he put most of those question marks to rest, this season.

13 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

If Gausman is their price, there is no way they are coming down to Mancini. Bundy would be meeting them halfway. I would be tempted for Blackmon. 130 OPS+ and .381 OBP last year. 

Mancini might possibly get Cargo. 

But don't most teams ask for a lot and then usually come down from what they wanted ? You really want this guy but will settle for a little less. 

51 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

I find this hard to believe unless you're suggesting there are concerns of him staying healthy.   Former number one pitching prospect who showed lights out swing and miss stuff when he found his groove over the summer before tiring. 

If he progresses and stays healthy, I am certain many baseball folks will change their minds again. 

I don't think Colorado is really wanting to get rid of Blackmon.  I think they are thinking that if they can get a really good SP that is on a very team-friendly contract, it is worth it to trade Blackmon, keep CarGo in the outfield and sign a Trumbo or Carter to play first base.  That's the only way them trading Blackmon would happen IMO.  I doubt that they will find any takers, and they may well have to shift gears and end up signing the first baseman and trading one year of CarGo and his $20 million salary for a more realistic return.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But, back to Trumbo... I really don't understand the Orioles focus on trying to dump so much money into a DH. Unless they play to as Davis to move to RF full time (and I'm not sure he's be a lot better than Trumbo out there) I just don't get trying so hard to resign him when this lineup needs OBP and guys who work pitchers more than anything. 

Maybe it's just a lack of better options -- who is out there who is really going to move the needle on the OBP/work the pitcher front?   At best, there are guys who would be marginal improvements on that score.  

That said, I do not think Trumbo is worth 4/$52-55 mm, and if there aren't a lot of good options on the market, I would rather see the Orioles using their money to retain other guys we want to keep long-term.   It's going to bum me out when we can't keep Manny at $30-35 mm/yr but we are paying Davis/Trumbo $36-37 mm/yr.   I'd rather have the 26-year old with a pretty consistent 6-7 WAR/yr track record than two guys in their 30's who have fluctuated between good and bad seasons and are largely all-or-nothing type guys.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe it's just a lack of better options -- who is out there who is really going to move the needle on the OBP/work the pitcher front?   At best, there are guys who would be marginal improvements on that score.  

That said, I do not think Trumbo is worth 4/$52-55 mm, and if there aren't a lot of good options on the market, I would rather see the Orioles using their money to retain other guys we want to keep long-term.   It's going to bum me out when we can't keep Manny at $30-35 mm/yr but we are paying Davis/Trumbo $36-37 mm/yr.   I'd rather have the 26-year old with a pretty consistent 6-7 WAR/yr track record than two guys in their 30's who have fluctuated between good and bad seasons and are largely all-or-nothing type guys.

Agreed on all fronts. I guess I'd rather see them go after Fowler or Granderson than Trumbo. DH is a place where we can find some value and honestly, although Mancini won't have the power that Trumbo put up last year, his value could make him a good fit and allow the Orioles to use Trumbo's money for a Granderson or Fowler (Even though i know DD has said he's not interested in Fowler this year). As much as I don't want to give up a pick, I do think Bautista could also provide value since I believe his price tag will fall. His bat is a much better fit for our lineup.

Archived