Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed on all fronts. I guess I'd rather see them go after Fowler or Granderson than Trumbo. DH is a place where we can find some value and honestly, although Mancini won't have the power that Trumbo put up last year, his value could make him a good fit and allow the Orioles to use Trumbo's money for a Granderson or Fowler (Even though i know DD has said he's not interested in Fowler this year). As much as I don't want to give up a pick, I do think Bautista could also provide value since I believe his price tag will fall. His bat is a much better fit for our lineup.

Fowler signed with the Cardinals last week.   5 years, $82.5 mm.  

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's really a shame that we weren't able to close the 3/$33 mm deal we discussed with him last year.

Yeah.  Catfish,

Am I alone in thinking Saunders is a great fit?  No compensation pick, and MLBTR projects him at that same 3/$33 mm figure.  Mixed results defensively in his career, but RF has been his best spot.  I'd rather go 3/$33 for Saunders with Mancini at DH than spend 4/$52+ on Trumbo.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's really a shame that we weren't able to close the 3/$33 mm deal we discussed with him last year.

Yep, looks like Duquette not willing to give him that 3rd year was a misstep, but of course, we don't know how he would have hit in the AL. Still, he was a perfect fit for this team, but Fowler ultimately bet on himself and won.

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Yeah.  Catfish,

Am I alone in thinking Saunders is a great fit?  No compensation pick, and MLBTR projects him at that same 3/$33 mm figure.  Mixed results defensively in his career, but RF has been his best spot.  I'd rather go 3/$33 for Saunders with Mancini at DH than spend 4/$52+ on Trumbo.

I don't necessarily think he's a great fit, but he's not a terrible option if the Orioles can't do better. I'd like to see them get Granderson. The Mets need a reliever and need to move either Granderson or Bruce. This seems like a natural fit if you ask me. I've said all along that I would move Brach for Granderson. People sometimes forget that Brach only has two years left before being eligible for FA. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't necessarily think he's a great fit, but he's not a terrible option if the Orioles can't do better. I'd like to see them get Granderson. The Mets need a reliever and need to move either Granderson or Bruce. This seems like a natural fit if you ask me. I've said all along that I would move Brach for Granderson. People sometimes forget that Brach only has two years left before being eligible for FA. 

I'd much rather keep Brach and get Saunders for something like 3/$33 than lose Brach for 1 year of Granderson at $15 million. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Maybe it's just a lack of better options -- who is out there who is really going to move the needle on the OBP/work the pitcher front?   At best, there are guys who would be marginal improvements on that score.  

That said, I do not think Trumbo is worth 4/$52-55 mm, and if there aren't a lot of good options on the market, I would rather see the Orioles using their money to retain other guys we want to keep long-term.   It's going to bum me out when we can't keep Manny at $30-35 mm/yr but we are paying Davis/Trumbo $36-37 mm/yr.   I'd rather have the 26-year old with a pretty consistent 6-7 WAR/yr track record than two guys in their 30's who have fluctuated between good and bad seasons and are largely all-or-nothing type guys.

Ding, ding, ding! I so agree with this. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed on all fronts. I guess I'd rather see them go after Fowler or Granderson than Trumbo. DH is a place where we can find some value and honestly, although Mancini won't have the power that Trumbo put up last year, his value could make him a good fit and allow the Orioles to use Trumbo's money for a Granderson or Fowler (Even though i know DD has said he's not interested in Fowler this year). As much as I don't want to give up a pick, I do think Bautista could also provide value since I believe his price tag will fall. His bat is a much better fit for our lineup.

I think Fowler signed with St Louis. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, looks like Duquette not willing to give him that 3rd year was a misstep, but of course, we don't know how he would have hit in the AL. Still, he was a perfect fit for this team, but Fowler ultimately bet on himself and won.

Oh, I thought it was the opt out which torpedoed it. 

5 hours ago, Number5 said:

I'd much rather keep Brach and get Saunders for something like 3/$33 than lose Brach for 1 year of Granderson at $15 million. 

This is our best option at this point.  Pagan on a 1yr deal might be, but doubtful that is all that he gets.  Saunders power plays up big time at OPACY.  He had a three HR game here and it should have been 4.  

Other posters have noted that Saunders might not be able to pass our physical, given his variety of injuries over the years.  

Buck to Roch

“But, you know, I don’t look at Trey as a DH-only candidate. I’d like for him to not only play first base, I’d like for him to play the outfield.”

So, I guess we can assume that Mancini will be shagging fly balls in spring training. It makes sense to evaluate him at other positions if the Orioles are determined to keep him on the 25-man roster.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Buck to Roch

I have long been puzzled on why the organization haven't done anything with Mancini in the minors at a COF spot.

Shagging balls in practice, does not make one a COF.

The one logical conclusion from that, has to be, the org does not have any believe that Mancini can play COF.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I have long been puzzled on why the organization haven't done anything with Mancini in the minors at a COF spot.

Shagging balls in practice, does not make one a COF.

The one logical conclusion from that, has to be, the org does not have any believe that Mancini can play COF.

The O's pursuit of Trumbo makes me think that Mancini may end up as part of  a trade to a  team looking for a cheap  1B/DH that has a RFer to swap.

Archived