Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

28 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Orioles need Mark Trumbo. I am sick and tired of seeing good players like him leave the Orioles through free agency. He likes playing for the Orioles and his skill set is perfect for Camden Yards. Match made in heaven baby. Resign him today Dan PLEASE!

I don't know if I'd call Trumbo a "good" player. Cruz and Arrieta are good players. Trumbo is average at best. 

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I have a feeling. 14 straight losing seasons and still defending the team as a kid, and then getting used to winning is just weird but in a good way. 

They would be the lead story on the late news.

The team was literally a national joke.

We had a DJ standing vigil in the control booth.

During the 14 year losing streak the O's were just bad.  In '88 they were the worst ever.

13 hours ago, Horsepower said:

If we are serious about getting a good young RF then we should be trying to put together a package for Adam Eaton of the CWS

Eaton would be the perfect guy.  Would the Chisox want to trade him?  It would take a phenomenal offer I would think.  Who did you have in mind to offer?

I'd be happy with Trumbo in RF.  Rickard/Bourn in LF.  Kim/Mancini at DH.  Trumbo can come out of games late for which ever of Rickard and Bourn didn't start.  

These seem to be the best fits and go along with what DD has been saying.  Add that with an improved rotation and still great bullpen and we're right back in the thick of things.  Oh and grab a C or two.  

If the Orioles need a first baseman I might be more interested in resigning Trumbo to play there, but they need more OBP guys and better outfield defense. Resigning Trumbo makes little sense especially when you have Tillman, Britton, Machado and Schoop coming up in the next few years that will need be paid. I'd rather trade for Granderson and go with Mancini at DH. 

Agree with 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If the Orioles need a first baseman I might be more interested in resigning Trumbo to play there, but they need more OBP guys and better outfield defense. Resigning Trumbo makes little sense especially when you have Tillman, Britton, Machado and Schoop coming up in the next few years that will need be paid. I'd rather trade for Granderson and go with Mancini at DH. 

Agree with this 100% Tony. Davis' contract last season basically negates the need to sign Trumbo long-term. Many forget that Mark Trumbo was originally acquired as a back up plan in case they weren't able to sign Davis. I'd go no higher than a 2 year deal for him, which won't be enough to get it done. Trade for Granderson/Bruce, sign Saunders, etc. are all better options which won't handcuff them long-term. 

All that said, I think there is zero change Machado signs with us. Just a hunch, but I think all he cares about is that big pay day. And locking up Britton long term probably does not make sense fiscally, when closer is such a fickle position (i.e., players are good one season and terrible the next). They may not be actively shopping Britton and Machado right now, but I hope their at least gauging interest in case it comes to that at next year's Winter Meetings. 

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd be happy with Trumbo in RF.  Rickard/Bourn in LF.  Kim/Mancini at DH.  Trumbo can come out of games late for which ever of Rickard and Bourn didn't start.  

These seem to be the best fits and go along with what DD has been saying.  Add that with an improved rotation and still great bullpen and we're right back in the thick of things.  Oh and grab a C or two.  

Found this on Roch's twitter. Interesting that they still are not sure if he needs surgery.

Joey Rickard also will be at minicamp so #orioles can check on his thumb and make sure he still doesn't need surgery.

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I see where you're coming from, but with the news that we are not involved with any talk with Manny, I really think our chance to win a championship is in the next 2 years.

I would do all I could to make that happen. If Trumbo is at DH (and occasionally 1B/OF), I think that improves our chances.

1 hour ago, canonfaz said:

I see where you're coming from, but with the news that we are not involved with any talk with Manny, I really think our chance to win a championship is in the next 2 years.

I would do all I could to make that happen. If Trumbo is at DH (and occasionally 1B/OF), I think that improves our chances.

If all we are looking for Trumbo to do is DH, I'd rather just sign Carter on a much cheaper deal. They're pretty much identical in offensive value.

32 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im not sold on Carter being the answer to hit AL East pitching, either.

Carter career wRC+ of 112, OPS .777, wOBA .336

Trumbo wRC+ 111, OPS .776, wOBA .332

You'd prefer Trumbo for 4/~70 over Carter at like 1/8 if they are DHing?

Archived