Hate to say it, but...

Answerman

No doubt, my preferred course of action is a trade for Cargo. However, if that is not feasible, I think the guys who give us the best chance for winning at somewhat affordable prices are Pedro (on a DH platoon with Mancini), and Bautista. Pedro is still young, has a lot of productive at bats, and I like the security of a natural cleanup hitter in the lineup. For those reasons I would offer him 3/$18M. I would offer Bautista 2/$30M. I realize he is public enemy number one, but I would love to have him and his on-base percentage batting in the middle of our order. He and Davis batting back-to-back in the lineup would make both more dangerous.

The problem with an Alvarez/Mancini DH platoon is that you're really tying your hands by carrying two guys who aren't going to be much help to you defensively. Pedro just needs to stay away from a glove completely. And Mancini is strictly a 1B type and isn't going to play the field much with Davis around. That's why I'd rather sign two outfielders and make Kim the LHDH.

14 minutes ago, Answerman said:

No doubt, my preferred course of action is a trade for Cargo. However, if that is not feasible, I think the guys who give us the best chance for winning at somewhat affordable prices are Pedro (on a DH platoon with Mancini), and Bautista. Pedro is still young, has a lot of productive at bats, and I like the security of a natural cleanup hitter in the lineup. For those reasons I would offer him 3/$18M. I would offer Bautista 2/$30M. I realize he is public enemy number one, but I would love to have him and his on-base percentage batting in the middle of our order. He and Davis batting back-to-back in the lineup would make both more dangerous.

Why do you think it would take three years to get Pedro to sign?  Do you think he stock is noticeably higher than this time last year?

Good point, Corn. I agree that he would sign for two years, and maybe even one. However, I think his production/price ratio is very team favorable and I would like to lock him up for three years while in his prime. I really think he could produce 25 hrs and 80 ribs, and I'd like to lock that in at a cheap rate. Since most pitchers are right handed, I really want a strong Left handed DH.

Personally, with what's left out there, my ideal offseason would be 1 yr deals for Pedro Alvarez and Colby Rasmus.

P.Alvarez platoons at DH with Manicini. Allows Mancini to get his feet wet while not being totally relied upon.

Rasmus plays RF and Rickard platoons with Kim in LF. If Rasmus totally bombs against LH pitching then Kim can be given the opportunity to play everyday and Rickard can platoon in RF. If both, Kim and Rasmus can't hit LH pitching then Rickard platoons in LF and Rasmus at least plays solid defense in RF.

4 hours ago, Moondoggie said:

The problem with an Alvarez/Mancini DH platoon is that you're really tying your hands by carrying two guys who aren't going to be much help to you defensively. Pedro just needs to stay away from a glove completely. And Mancini is strictly a 1B type and isn't going to play the field much with Davis around. That's why I'd rather sign two outfielders and make Kim the LHDH.

Yup, not to mention that our outfield defense needs major help.  AJ is one year longer in the tooth next season and Trumbo was so bad in the field that it took 40+ home runs to barely push himself above replacement-level.  Kim and Rickard aren't good defenders either.  

I think a one year deal is the way to go at this point to fill DH if that's DD's main concern. I think outfield defense is more important at this point but I'm not really thrilled with any of the OF upgrades left. Whether it's Alvarez Bautista or whoever to fill/split DH it needs to be a one year deal IMO.

17 hours ago, Moondoggie said:

I'm with you on Kim. If there are any corner OF out there that should be where the focus is. I still like the idea of Granderson and maybe Pagan in LF. 

Bautista will always be a no for me, I know it's not fair or logical but there are some personalities that ruin baseball for me and he's one.

1 hour ago, billw76 said:

I think a one year deal is the way to go at this point to fill DH if that's DD's main concern. I think outfield defense is more important at this point but I'm not really thrilled with any of the OF upgrades left. Whether it's Alvarez Bautista or whoever to fill/split DH it needs to be a one year deal IMO.

Wouldn't Bautista be in right field?

Regarding Bautista, if the attitude isn't enough to turn you off, the attached Q.O., declining performance, and age should do the trick.

Really hope Baltimore steers clear of Bautista. I hate the idea of signing QO players to 1 year deals when the team has no intention of keeping them in the long term. Bautista's long term outlook is abysmal - the short term isn't exactly pretty either.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Wouldn't Bautista be in right field?

I wouldn't really want him in RF honestly. I don't want him on the team at all because I really don't care for him, but if he was signed I'd prefer him as a DH, if for nothing else to try and keep him healthy for a full season.

45 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Regarding Bautista, if the attitude isn't enough to turn you off, the attached Q.O., declining performance, and age should do the trick.

Really hope Baltimore steers clear of Bautista. I hate the idea of signing QO players to 1 year deals when the team has no intention of keeping them in the long term. Bautista's long term outlook is abysmal - the short term isn't exactly pretty either.

The loss of a pick scares me.  There is no guarantee that he has a big year and gets a QO.  Then he might accept it too.  I'll be honest though, with the options remaining, I wouldn't mind having him in RF next year.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The loss of a pick scares me.  There is no guarantee that he has a big year and gets a QO.  Then he might accept it too.  I'll be honest though, with the options remaining, I wouldn't mind having him in RF next year.  

If I understand the new CBA correctly, he would be ineligible for a QO next year if he signs a 1-year deal this year.  Pretty sure I read that a player cannot be subject to the QO restrictions on free agency two years in a row?  Any CBA experts out there that can confirm or refute that?

26 minutes ago, Number5 said:

If I understand the new CBA correctly, he would be ineligible for a QO next year if he signs a 1-year deal this year.  Pretty sure I read that a player cannot be subject to the QO restrictions on free agency two years in a row?  Any CBA experts out there that can confirm or refute that?

This is correct.

Archived