That yearly, hypothetical, fun question...

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, weams said:

I watched them both pitch in their prime. Jim was better. 

45 minutes ago, crawjo said:

No. That's my counter-argument.

They were very close.     There's a huge gulf between the two of them and every other pitcher who wore the orange and black, even though we had many Cy Young and 20-game winners.    The eras in which they pitched were very different and Palmer did have a historically great defense behind him, though Palmeiro-Alomar-Ripken was 3/4 of an excellent infield.  

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They were very close.     There's a huge gulf between the two of them and every other pitcher who wore the orange and black, even though we had many Cy Young and 20-game winners.    The eras in which they pitched were very different and Palmer did have a historically great defense behind him, though Palmeiro-Alomar-Ripken was 3/4 of an excellent infield.  

Robbie was a dream to watch in the field. And hit like a beast. A real threat.

Palmer averaged 5 strikeouts per nine and 3 walks per nine. There's no way that would play well in Camden Yards in 2017. Mussina, for comparison's sake, averaged 7.1 strikeouts and 2 walks per nine. 

Palmer relied a lot more on his defense than Mussina. And that matters a lot when trying to imagine them fitting in with the 2017 Orioles. Especially given that Palmer was a flyball pitcher and our outfield defense is distinctly below average. 

23 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Palmer averaged 5 strikeouts per nine and 3 walks per nine. There's no way that would play well in Camden Yards in 2017. Mussina, for comparison's sake, averaged 7.1 strikeouts and 2 walks per nine. 

Palmer relied a lot more on his defense than Mussina. And that matters a lot when trying to imagine them fitting in with the 2017 Orioles. Especially given that Palmer was a flyball pitcher and our outfield defense is distinctly below average. 

I agree with what you say here, but I do think that Palmer would accrue more strikeouts in today's environment, and that he was an intelligent pitcher who could adapt his own tendencies somewhat to account for the defense around him.    I don't buy into the sabermetric arguments that he was merely an above average pitcher with a historically great defense behind him.    He won a few Cy Youngs after Brooks, Blair, and Grich were gone from the scene.   

Archived