That yearly, hypothetical, fun question...

Moose Milligan

22 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Bonds put up 100 WAR through the 1998 season, his age 33 season. Robinson had 88 WAR at the same point in his career. Even without the steroids, Bonds would have likely had a much better end to his career than Robinson did. I can understand wanting Robinson over Bonds for chemistry reasons, but I don't think there's any credible argument that Robinson was the equal of Bonds as a player. 

At age 30 Bonds had 74 rWAR and Frank had 71, Not much of a difference IMO, and not worth the mishegas of Bonds in the clubhouse.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, crawjo said:

Bonds put up 100 WAR through the 1998 season, his age 33 season. Robinson had 88 WAR at the same point in his career. Even without the steroids, Bonds would have likely had a much better end to his career than Robinson did. I can understand wanting Robinson over Bonds for chemistry reasons, but I don't think there's any credible argument that Robinson was the equal of Bonds as a player. 

With no ill will whatsoever directed at you crawjo... Opinions vary. Greenies aren't anything close to what Bonds did. He had his way with the system til he couldn't anymore. It's a line crossed.

6 hours ago, scOtt said:

With no ill will whatsoever directed at you crawjo... Opinions vary. Greenies aren't anything close to what Bonds did. He had his way with the system til he couldn't anymore. It's a line crossed.

There are both players and medical experts that disagree with you.

The main problem with what Bonds did, as opposed to those that came before, was that what he did was noticable by the fans.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There are both players and medical experts that disagree with you.

The main problem with what Bonds did, as opposed to those that came before, was that what he did was noticable by the fans.

Steroids are body changing as well as uplifting to the energy level of the patient. And the medical community confirms that. Also, by the time Bonds was doing THAT, it was not only illegal, but specifically against the rules and testing of the league. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Steroids are body changing as well as uplifting to the energy level of the patient. And the medical community confirms that. Also, by the time Bonds was doing THAT, it was not only illegal, but specifically against the rules and testing of the league. 

We don't know when Bonds started, I've heard rumors it was in college.  We also don't know what anyone else on the list might have used.  You know that I strongly suspect Aaron of using for instance.

I stand by my statement that I have read pieces by both former players and medical professionals Amphetamine use has more of an impact than steroid or HGH use.  

5 minutes ago, weams said:

The fascinating thing I've noticed is that many of the physical changes that I assumed were permanent are obviously lessened when the regimen is stopped. 

I'm not sure why you thought the gains would be permanent.  I'm sure you have seen former NFL lineman after they have lost 70 pounds.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I stand by my statement that I have read pieces by both former players and medical professionals Amphetamine use has more of an impact than steroid or HGH use.  

I politely stand by my stance that those things are simply targeted information. Amphetamines are bad when abused as I am sure they are. HGH is not for athletes at the prime of their abilities, it is for cheaters who are not good enough to compete with real athletes. 

Just now, weams said:

I politely stand by my stance that those things are simply targeted information. Amphetamines are bad when abused as I am sure they are. HGH is not for athletes at the prime of their abilities, it is for cheaters who are not good enough to compete with real athletes. 

So Amphetamines are for athletes at the prime of their abilities?

Archived